1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Zorn Fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 4, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that under the current setup, Campbell is free to look at another team, but the Skins have the option to match and retain him. That means he's a restricted FA, right?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Basically, instead of having to have four years in the league, a playe has to have six. So players with four and five years of experience will now be restricted free agents. My understanding is that Campbell would be an unrestricted free agent under the old rules, but he will become restricted if 2010 is an uncapped year.

There is a lot more to it, such as additional transition tags and no salary floor along with the lack of a cap. The one part I haven't seen much written about is that teams will be able to get rid of bad contracts more easily. Because signing bonuses are spread out through the life of the contract for cap purposes, it would often cost a team more cap space to cut a guy than to keep him. In an uncapped year, that won't be a problem, so teams should be able to correct errors they made in giving out big, long-term deals (with the exception of deals that include guaranteed money).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Correct. Even though matching would be cruelty of the cruelest sort for Campbell.

4. JackReacher

Maybe. I'm not convinced he hates being in DC. Dude just wants to take less than 246 hits per game.

5. Football_Bat

Teams would still be on the hook for the guaranteed money, but at the same time it would no longer count against them on the cap, which is by far the bigger impediment to maintaining rosters.

6. Football_Bat

My point exactly.

7. JackReacher

I'm not sure the OL can get any worse, even if you bring back the exact same players next year. God, is that line bad.

8. outofplace

Some teams may go the cheap route, deciding that since they have to pay a player anywyay, they won't cut him. But I still expect to see a decent number of players cut or traded who would have never been moved with a cap in place.

9. Football_Bat

Which, hate to say it, is why Jerry > Danny Boy in personnel.

Jerry has first-round busts to burn, but he's hit on a few and made up for the rest with late-round picks and UFA signings. Danny has had all the busts and very few home runs on the "value" front that spring to mind, although the jury's still out on some guys I liked in college such as Holmes, Orakpo and Kelly.

Snyder's team has had holes which he failed to address in order to make the biggest FA splash possible. Snyder has relied on his football guys — Gibbs, the Ol' Ball Coach, Zorn — to make draft-day calls while Jones called the shots, with minimal deference to Tuna in those days.

Snyder has two more playoff wins than Jones (zero) since he bought the team, but Jones' team is in much better position looking forward.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd take Garrard over Campbell.

11. outofplace

Garrard had 14 fumbles this season, eight of them lost, to go with 10 interceptions and only 15 touchdowns. This is in spite of playing with one of the NFL's best running backs. Garrard has had one good season out of his three as a starter, and that was playing behind a dominant offensive line in 2007. Even then, he only threw for 18 touchdowns.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I agree. Garrard is not a $10 million a year QB. Garrard hit the lottery in 2007.

Draft saved Draft deleted