1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Zorn Fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought F_H's Jacques Cousteau post settled that.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

See, it kills me. Because I don't want to be a bandwagon fan. I don't want to abandon my childhood teams in horrible times. (Hey, I still like the Orioles, right?) But Snyder tests my patience by signing absolute douchebags like Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall. I've hated Clausen ever since he made such a spectacle of his Notre Dame signing, and I just can't root for a guy like him to succeed. Campbell, I like. He's got a little moxie to him. He needs a system where he's able to throw the ball a little bit, not just three-yard screens and six-yard outs. He's got a good arm and makes decent decisions. He could also use some protection. Just a little. Maybe Stephon Heyer can block someone once. Just once. That's all I'm asking. Sorry, rambling again ...

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Of all the bricks of the crumbling foundation, Campbell's can still bear a little weight.

There are far greater problems on that team than him.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The love for Campbell makes me laugh. The guy had fumbled 13 times this season and god knows how many picks he threw. That's not to say the Redskins terrible record is his fault, but he's among the worst starting quarterbacks in the league.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You have no idea what you're talking about.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

F_H, at best Campbell is an average QB. But the Skins have other areas that need attention.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

BS.

He's not a top-tier QB, but he's definitely a better solution than drafting a QB and having him take an even worse beating behind a terrible OL.

Fixing the O-line should be the top priority this offseason. Not the starting QB.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Campbell is Mark Rypien. He's very good on a very good team, as he showed his final year at Auburn. Rypien had three All-Pro linemen to protect him and three terrific receivers. He's made a lot of progress but he's never going to be a star on his own.

I think Campbell is a free agent, but I have no clue.

They pick fourth? They need to trade down and get an extra pick and grab two linemen. Find a receiver through FA or some other plan. The O needs a lot more work than the D.

9. JackReacher

Their first pick, whether it's No. 4 or No. 14 if they trade down, has got to be an offensive lineman. I'm not aware of how many first-round caliber linemen there are this year, but the Skins need to do whatever they can to get one.

The RB spot needs to be addressed as well as the secondary.

Right now, they have all their picks except for their 3rd (supplemental pick, Jarmon) and 6th (Taylor). I say they trade Cooley for another pick and draft OL-RB-DB-OL-LB. Then grab another OL or two and another DB or two in free agency. Along with a couple DL.

In other words, lots and lots and lots of holes to fill.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Succinctly put. He's not one of the worst quarterbacks in the league. He's thorougly average across the board. I just wonder what would happen if he a) wasn't getting crushed 30 times a game and b) had a decent run game and c) was allowed to throw downfield a little bit. Seriously, the Redskins had two players with better than a 4.0 ypc average on the ground -- Campbell and punter Hunter Smith. The leading rusher had 494 yards. Not good.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

with so much work needed and dan snyder as owner, why would shanahan want this job?

12. JackReacher

$10 million a year for starters.

Draft saved Draft deleted