1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Webb's Mi Lai Moment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 19, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Boom, rather than cast aspersions, I will say this about the McCain-military aspect. Certainly there are certain candidates who, because of their military background, may engender a bit more trust than others, but I think even a president with limited, little or no military heritage can still be a decent commander in chief, regardless of the budget figure you mentioned.

The bottom line is a good president would be a good commander in chief. The military by itself is very strong and has withstood quite a bit over the years. I think, as long as absolute wholesale changes aren't made or another war started, the military will continue to survive.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

spinning I went back and read your post again and now have a better understanding of your point. I agree with it. Serving in the Military should not be one of the check list items as qualification to be President.

It clearly did not work for John Kerry.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Or McCain in 2000. That being said, Boom, I tend to favor candidates with military experience. But as a Democrat, it can often be difficult to find someone on my side of the aisle who has that experience.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree Alley - " I served so vote for me" is not enough. It's a plus though I believe to have a president with Military experience if he also has other attributes.

5. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

YO, AA, where have you been? There are plenty of Dems who have served under colors. Check out www.awolbush.com/whoserved.html. Appears to be somewhat accurate, though the originators have a definite bias.

6. digger

digger New Member

I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything you said I'm saying.

I'm saying Boom's motives are questionable, he doesn't really mean anything with this thread except to begin a process in his mind where Webb is unfit to be commander in chief. All it's going to take now is a swiftboat-type attack. The wingnuts will find a former serviceman who's willing to say "Webb knew the kid was in there'' or "Webb could have called for a medavac'' and BOOM! there it is.

If Boom was serious about a clean discussion about this topic, he wouldn't have named it the way he did. And if he was serious, he wouldn't have ignored every post that tried to explain the timing, etc.

I'll say it one more time - it takes a lot of balls to sit back and throw this kind of garbage out there with absolutely no proof whatsoever, when you have no idea (and I don't either) what it was like to have been actually there in that situation.

But that's Boom/swiftboaters in a nutshell.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thanks for the correction and the info. I wasn't aware so many had served. Guess my fact-digging abilities have gotten lazy since leaving the biz.

Draft saved Draft deleted