1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Webb Calls The Iran Bluff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

OK smart ass - if you really read the book you would know which actress inspired the title- The Nightingale's Song- Let's have it.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

boom's giving quizzes now?

I better hit the box... bucks...bawx...buchs...bachs...

Fuck it. I better study.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Lit-Lite Boom,

Eleven years have passed since I read it. No, off the top of my head, I don't know the actress you speak of. What I do know is that Timberg's book focused on five Annapolis grads (though McCain was a grad by the narrowest of margins, what, fourth last in his class). All, to an extent, displayed some heroic (or at least redeeming) qualities. Reagan (chicken hawk) was, of course, not one of the five. In fact, in service of ol' Ron, P-dexter's rep was ruined, Bud was a suicidal wreck and Ollie evolved into a nitwit flavor-of-the-month folk hero to the right / unabashed lawbreaker. (Not to doubt their patriotism but JP and Bud, intelligent guys, were hoodwinked by a guy who slapped out Angie Dickinson.) Of course, Poindexter was the toughest character to penetrate / empathize with, though given his doctorate in nuclear physics I'd stack it up against Brownie's mail-order degree in equestrian science (writer's embellishment). The Webb-North grudge match is movingly turned by the author. Hard to question McCain's heroism no matter what your political stripe and there is no doubt that: a) he had more fun in scraping through the academy; b) he'd be the most fun to hang out with even in his dotage. (When you get down to it, the others might not be much fun at all.) Webb was the most clearly conflicted philosophically. And a writer. Which is why I like him and have no more time for you.

Your's Humbull Servants's, Ed Setterrah

4. friend of the friendless

Lit-Lite Boom,

I don't want to keep you up all "nite." The skinny: Reagan is the villian of Timberg's book. He wrecked the lives and careers of two (fairly) good men and foisted Ollie on us.

YHS, etc

5. Boom_70

Wow - you better reread before you start spouting off any more about it. The Actress played an important role in how Timberg came up with title as did Reagan.

From what you have written so far it seems like you really missed a good book.

BTW - the actress was Barbara Feldon - AKA agent 99 - when you buy the book you can read the rest of story.

6. friend of the friendless

Mr 70,

Indeed. Feldon is mentioned once in the book. On page 16. In the introduction. You're a "jeanyus." Congrats. You remember the minutiae and miss the point of the book. You'll do well in the toy department.

Yup, you proved me wrong. I never read the book. Good thing my local library is open to 11:15 p.m.

Your's Humbull Serpents's, add infinitum

7. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

For more coherent readers, did anyone else know that 99 used to be prez of the Screen Actors Guild?

YHS, etc

8. Boom_70

If I read a book I always make a habit of understanding how the title came about. Obviously we don't share the same philsophy. Pages 16/17/18 pretty much explain the whole purpose of book.

To those who fought in Viet Nam Reagan clearly was a hero for his noble cause speech and how he reached out to Viet Nam vets. One might say he was singing their song -- the nightengale's song.

The common thread between Timberg and his 5 subjects - all viet nam vets

9. friend of the friendless

Mr 70,

Oh, so it was Viet Nam ... Annapolis was just a coincidence.

And Webb was singing a different song later on.

I've been know to skip an intro / prologue or two. Again, congrats, you've advanced to Final Jeopardy.

YHS, etc

10. Boom_70

Just go read the book asshole. You started out accusing me of not reading the book. As it turns out you are the one who did not read it. How does the saying go - the emperor has no clothes .

You are such an expert on things why don't you start telling your beloved Karen Crouse how to be a beat reporter instead of a writer for the ladies home journal. She obviously needs your help.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

The Iranian Pres gave a Beautiful speech. I'm a fan.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

His spiritual cousin is currently the junior senator from Wisconsin.

Draft saved Draft deleted