1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Thome traded to Orioles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Great. Now there's a fucking socilist on here.

Thanks a lot, KY!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Running threads do have value, unless you want Page 1 of Sports and News to have 10 minor baseball transaction threads and you want Anything Goes to have 15 movie threads. There was a clutter issue. Not that some things don't deserve their own thread, like a no-hitter or The Sopranos: The Movie, if that were ever to happen.

4. imjustagirl

Yes. Yes I do. Because I don't watch baseball. And I don't see many movies. So that way, I could see if there was something that interested me without having to read a shit-ton of nothingness about Michael Morse's walks and Bryce Harper's nutsack in Herbert's hands to get to anything of note.

I don't want to read 40 pages of bullshit about a routine grounder in the third inning. It's RIDICULOUS. There's no limit to bandwidth. No one has to read every individual thread. But you lose a lot of people who just won't fucking wander into a 78-page thread on the off chance there's something there they care about.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We have had our differences through the years.

But I bow in your direction regarding this post.

6. dooley_womack1

I don't understand the anger about it. Jeez. I'd rather have a selection of stuff to choose from on Page 1 of Everything Goes and Sports and News then have to go beyond Page 1 if 20 baseball fans post bullshit threads and that's mostly all I see. Bandwidth doesn't have shit to do with it. Running threads were started for a reason. And there ain't that many of 'em, for crissakes.

7. imjustagirl

You're twisting my argument.

I said not everything needs to go on a running thread. The things that don't risk only being seen by the 8-10 regulars who read those threads.

8. dooley_womack1

I see your point, and I know this came up only because someone did the equivalent of a d_b about this thread being started at all. The next no-hitter thread, I'm tempted to do it just to see 21 at Defcon 10

9. imjustagirl

My only point is that when there's a separate thread on something, it's not the end of the world. And KY's attempt to be cool by slagging Manky for starting a thread was weak and pointless.

Running threads are fine for minutiae. But to say that no single thread should be started because it should be on the running thread is to imply that we are not capable of deciding what threads deserve discussion or comments. If no one posted here, it would die out. The running thread would still exist. It is not one or the other.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Actually, a few minutes after he started the thread he posted a link about Thome and Jeter sharing a milestone. I'm pretty sure that was the entire reason he started a thread about Thome.

11. dooley_womack1

Tho slagging Manky on principle is acceptable, I would think we could agree.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Disagree. It's JDV all over again. And I say that as someone who tried to get all tough guy on him and order him off the board. But looking back, holy fuck, what was the point? Either JDV was going to leave on his own, or keep posting or a mod would take care of it. Every post I and others made on the subject was a complete fucking waste of time.

You want to make fun of Manky? Go right ahead. There's some humor to be had there. But the tough guy "Why are you posting here? GO AWAY!" posts are just pointless.

Draft saved Draft deleted