1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Thome traded to Orioles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Jun 30, 2012.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/2604/jim-thome

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I've always been a fan of Thome and I'm glad he'll be back in the AL where he can hit more often.

I hope before he retires he makes a stop in New York and wins his first World Series ring with the Yankees.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hope he chokes on a crab cake.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/08/20/11/Jeter-Thome-share-a-milestone-bond/landing_twins.html?blockID=551322

Two legends reflect on their first 20 years in MLB.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Thome? I've never heard anyone that didn't like him.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Can't say that any more, can you?

And talk to more Indians fans. Not all do, but some are smart enough to hate him.

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/89375/

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Can you blame him for leaving? Their window for winning a championship had closed when he left, and nearly all of the talent from those late 90s teams had departed.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I have lived in Ohio. Vizquel is the only 1990s Indian that remains more popular than Thome.

As good as those teams were, they could have been even better. They had the opportunity to make trades or sign Barry Bonds, Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez, and Mike Piazza among others. And they never gave Brian Giles a chance...I think they signed Geronimo Berroa to split at-bats with him then finally shipped him to Pittsburgh for Rincon.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Dear Jim,

The Twins and their fans still miss you.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Thome at age 42 > Mauer and Morneau combined.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"You'll have to tear this jersey off my back."

Belle and Manny Ramirez left, but they never claimed they were staying. IfThome had been forthright with them, the Indians could have gotten a couple prospects for him in 2002, as they were foundering after June. They had already pulled off the heist that was the Colon deal and gotten Coco Crisp for an aging Chuck Finley. The haul for a Thome, who had 52 homers that year, would've moved that rebuild even further ahead.

And then Thome blamed his wife for going to Philly.

In hindsight it was a good thing. The Indians would have been swamped by that contract during their 2002-2005 rebuild.

But Thome was pretty duplicitous heading into free agency.

Draft saved Draft deleted