1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Thome Statue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re: Jim Thome

I am intrigued by your proposal and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

HUAC is now in session.

Evidence being examined:

[​IMG]

Microfilm allegedly hidden in a pumpkin patch on property owned by a suspected cheater is of great interest to HUAC member Nixon.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Define "got caught."

Did Roger Clemens get caught? There's one singing witness but no real proof and a whole lot of denying by Clemens. Yet everyone assumes he juiced (including me). So did he "get caught" or not? And is one witness and a lot of speculation about his career arc enough for the Hall of Fame voters to get on their high horse?

Clemens is just one example of a lot of speculative judging by the BBWAA that's going on and will continue to go on. But the writers don't have much evidence to back it up unless a drug test was flunked or a confession was made. McGwire was blackballed long before he confessed. Bagwell is getting caught up in this shitstorm despite a brilliant career.

At least cops have a radar gun.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10350975/cleveland-indians-unveil-jim-thome-statue-august

The Phillies are erecting a statue of Thome outside the ballpark. Surprising they would honor someone who played their just a few years, but Thome has always been one of the games most popular players.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

My pick for a statue outside Progressive Field:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I remember that one...1995 ALCS vs Red Sox.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The effect Thome had on the Phillies was huge. He made them matter again.
    From the end of their 1970s/early 80s heyday until Thome came in 2003, the franchise sucked eggs. No one wanted to play there. I remember my dad, a diehard fan for 40-plus years, would celebrate when the team got its 63rd win every year, so at least they wouldn't lose 100. Other than the 1993 NL championship season, which was an aberration generated by a bunch of cast-offs and role players all having career years at the same time, they failed to win 80 games in 12 of 13 seasons.

When Thome came, that all started to change. He was the first big-name free agent the team landed since, probably, Pete Rose in 1979. More importantly, he was the first marquee free agent the franchise signed in that span that didn't completely suck. Thome came in, led the NL in homers that first season, and changed the culture of the franchise with the fans. It became fun to watch the Phillies again.
    Thome's arrival coincided with some solid years from a few other guys, and the Phillies were halfway decent. Even though they didn't make the playoffs until 2007, two years after Thome left, he helped them at least be competitive again. They had a few winning seasons and laid the foundation for their strong run in the late 2000s. That, in turn, helped them land big-name free agents like Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee.
    These days, the Phillies are, if not a perennial contender, at least not the sad sack franchise they were for almost 20 years. Not sure that dramatic shift happens if they don't sign Jim Thome in 2003. Even though he was long gone by the time they won the World Series in 2008, I'm not sure they'd have gotten to that point without him being a part of the franchise.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can think of 15 ex-Phils more deserving.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ummm...the Indians are erecting the statue. Where is all of this Phillies stuff coming from?

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Stop fucking with the narrative.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Why ... that's quite different.

Never mind.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It will be my mission in life to destroy this statue.

Draft saved Draft deleted