1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Thome Statue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: Jim Thome

I don't believe Thome used, but will freely-acknowledge that he packed remarkable opposite-field power for the longest time, for a guy who didn't.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Stupid shit I post? Coming from you that is hillarious.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Sorry, IJAG. Tomorrow morning Jim Thome will become an Indian. PTBN going back to Minny. Too little, too late for the Indians.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Good to see he will be back in the Tribe uniform.

To me, him and Frank Thomas are the only recent additions to the 500 HR club to end their careers with reputation intact. Griffey was clean also but a total bust in his last 10 years of his career.

How awesome would it be if he ended his career by getting Cleveland back into the playoffs?

I'll be rooting for the Yankees but if they don't do it this year I will be pulling for the Thomenator

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Why does it seem like you want him not to be clean?

He didn't steal your innocence like he did IJAG, did he?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Probably won't happen, but I think this will make it close. I remember when they brought Kenny Lofton back in 2007. Stadium was jacked night in/night out. I'm sure that won that group a few games.

If anything, this will be the last chance to say a proper good-bye to the 90s dynasty (unless Vizquel finds his way back).

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, now y'all did it. He came back to take his medicine from you angry Lakesideians.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6896481/minnesota-twins-trade-jim-thome-cleveland-indians

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I actual like Thome and don't care if any athlete is clean or not.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There was plenty of muttering when Griffey suddenly bulked up mid-career, averaged 50 HR a year over a 5-year span, and shortly afterward started exhibiting a lot of "typical steroid injuries."

And there was muttering that Thomas looked an awful lot like a football player long after he quit being a football player.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

STO missed his intro on his first at-bat last night. A shitty station promo was more important.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I just realized Thome didn't win a WS with Philly...that sucks.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nor with the White Sox. He was a year off.

Draft saved Draft deleted