1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Souhan

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Minnesota4Ever, Feb 14, 2007.

1. I notice most Minnesotans hate the guy, but I think he is a great writer. He may not be Barreiro, but Souhan at least tends to be positive at times and he does a great job of telling a story when he has to. If Souhan can stop being funny, that would help his cause. I don't think he is that bad as MN Sports Fans protray him to be.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like Souhan (and thanks for weighing in Jim).... If Soucheray would write sports it would be better, but Souhan is solid. Nothing great, but nothing weak...

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

...still does not think Hideki Matsui qualified as a rookie in 2003.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I worked with him in college, and he was the ace reporter. Did lots of fine work in Dallas. Have lost track of him over recent years, tho.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He's in Minneapolis at the Star Tribune...

You're welcome...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

same to you, Dools..

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

was expecting something like "Thank you Captain Obvious..."

9. Jim is solid

10. Pops

Pops Member

Good guy, good writer. Set the tone for the first-person columns by beat writers the Strib has played up in recent years. Still, as noted above, he's not Barreiro, and a lot of Minnesotans still probably hold that against him.

11. Barreiro is the man. He was funny. He was very opinionated. He was entertaining. He would do something that would make you read. It was the Star-Tribune's and Minnesota sports's loss that they fired him for not being who he is. I try to model my writing after him. I wonder how Barreiro did in covering game stories. I could use his format.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Good guy?
    I thought so in college too ... until he tried to hit on my wife.
    I'll forgive but I don't have to forget.

Draft saved Draft deleted