1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Souhan, Playing Fast and Loose

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What can I tell you, I'm unpersuaded.

I'll take Tim Brown and Adrian W. on Yahoo! anyday of the week for my baseball and NBA coverage.

Simmons and Reilly to me are for the aging-frat boy and really-aging frat boy set.

Doyel? Over Scott Miller, Danny Knobler, Ken Berger, Clark Judge and so on? Nope.

I'm not looking to disparage individuals but I want expert analysis, not drive-by overviews, dubious cleverness and one-voice-fits-all insight. Maybe the click numbers are enough to justify that stale approach from the newsprint days but for me and the folks I'm around, it's silly to think one person is going to have fingers on the pulses of multiple major sports to the degree I want. Humor (often done badly), outrage, pathos, the general columnists' stock in trade, bore me.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My point was never that the national columnists are whom you or I read most. We're certainly not average readers. I think average readers like that dubious cleverness and one-voice-fits-all insight and don't realize they're eschewing expert analysis in the process. The hits bear out my theory.

3. Joe Williams

Well, when you put it that way... you're probably right.
    Glad to know I'm not average at something.

4. Joe Williams

Has there been an apology or admission of faulty journalism penned by Souhan yet? Or are they hoping to just let this fade away? How bad would top newspaper bosses have to be to not flat-out demand a correction and apology?

Featherweights all.

Draft saved Draft deleted