1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Nantz on Tiger Woods....Change? What Change?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm sure they did.

All while stomping out a butt after finishing puffing on a Pall Mall.

Probably even tossed in a definitely not politically correct comment about Trevino as well.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True.

Also true. But the "goddammits" and "f-bombs"? I don't know. If you're the kind who can put profanities into different categories, I'd tend to believe Tiger is more vile today.

All in all, though, I find it hard to believe that today's youth are only traumatized with such language when they're on the sixth tee box with Tiger. Don't give me that.

But don't give me that he can't change because it's the heat of the moment, he's a competitor, blah blah. To some of us, it's called growing up.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He never would have gotten past the one on No. 7

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It has come to my attention that some people cuss even when they aren't angry.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Perhaps Tiger shoult yell "NANTZ!" when he needs to let of steam.

Or "NANTZ! NANTZ! NANTZY! NANTYZ! NANTZ!" When he really screws up.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Somebody asked if Nantz ever mentions the language of the players at the NCAA tournament. How about Ms. Micki Krzyzewski? She could peel paint.
    Woods' swearing doesn't bother me, but the fact he gets so mad, even when he doesn't curse, at every mildly mishit shot is tiresome.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

We should pass this ideology along to all athletes at all levels and make this world a better place to live. Please.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

But when those guys miss a shot, it can cost them thousands of dollars.
    This is their job, although for Tiger, it's all Monopoly money by this point.

But for a lot of the others -- especially the guys on the lower end of the money list and in danger of being relegated back to Q-school -- I can understand why they'd be angry ... much like I used to have some legendary blowups when my computer crashed on deadline.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Nothing about Tiger's cursing bothers me. What bothers me is the phony contrition that he was going to "clean up his act" and "be more of a role model" and that winning golf tournaments wasn't as important as helping people and changing their lives.

Bull. Shit.

Tiger Woods was put on this earth to win golf tournaments. All the rest is just noise. He has to behave himself and not bang whores because he wants to make billions of dollars as a business man. The only reason Tiger Woods might want to avoid cursing on the course is monetary, because Tiger Woods is the kind of wound-up asshole who freaks out when he hits a shot that lands two feet left of where he wanted it to. All this Buddhism talk is hilarious because it's so ridiculously phony. Tiger Woods is a killer and a competitor, and I don't begrudge him that for a second. It's entertaining. I don't need him to be a saint or an inspiration, and the idea that everyone expects that of him is false too. HE NEEDS THAT FOR HIS BANK ACCOUNT. I need him to ditch the ridiculously false and contrived act that he might be that calm, considerate, kind person. His post round interviews revealed a man who had done nothing but recite the talking points of his therapist and his management on Monday, and then ditched them once the heat of competition began. He knows it's all a sham, but it's a sham necessary for him to make more money outside of golf.

Nantz, on the other hand, is just the carrying the water of the country's most elitist golf club. He probably doesn't give a shit either, but he knows it's good business to scold Woods.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He can get pissed to that level without the string of f-bombs. One would be an improvement for him. Occasionally, he'll stick his hat over his face and unload there. Totally fine.

I wasn't caring about him cleaning up his act a year ago, but now that he's done the dog-and-pony show press conference saying he's going to be more respectful? Then do it. (edit: what DD said, better than me)

And not to compare Tiger to me, but I had the jackass golfer's streak too for a while. I finally realized I looked like a raving lunatic. The game's hard enough as it is.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm going to play Devil's advocate here, while at the same time give Tiger the benefit of the doubt. Maybe, just maybe he really does want to change. Maybe he looks back after a tournament and hates the way he acted. Is it possible?

I'm not sure. I completely disagree with the fact that he has to tone it down so he can continue to make "millions of dollars," because he made his fortune doing the things he did on Sunday.

To me, it's pure, raw emotion, and I have no problem with anyone being emotional, especially an athlete. As embarrassing as it is, I played in an over-30 basketball league two years ago, and when things got heated, I was swearing up a storm and acting in a way that today I'm mortified by. It wasn't me, but it happens.

After doing this for 13 years as a pro, I think it's time people just accept it. As far as him saying he's going to change, if I had a penny for every time I vowed to do something and didn't follow through, I'd have Tiger's fortune.

Draft saved Draft deleted