1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Leavitt out at USF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Multiple outlets reporting that USF has fired Jim Leavitt... as a die-hard USF fan, I can honestly say I'm OK with this given the way the team was underachieved in conference play the past three seasons. I'm glad Leavitt helped building the program from scratch, but it was time to move on anyway... whether he hit a player or not.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/01/08/findings-of-leavitt-investigation-will-be-announced-today/

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ouch. He could have had any number of good jobs a couple years ago when USF was breaking through.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Tom Dienhart of Rivals hinted this could happen before their bowl and I was thinking, 'No way.'

That could be an incredible job for someone.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yep, he was a hot, hot prospect 4-5 years ago. Not on the Brian Kelly/Urban Meyer level, but almost.

You'd have to think the USF investigation must have came up with some pretty damning stuff.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is he as big a prick as he's made out to be?

6. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

I don't know that I'd classify him as a prick as much as I would just very intense. At least in my dealings with him.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worry that this is one of those schools that could go downhill very quickly if the right coach isn't hired. Maybe they'll hire Mike Leach.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They could go either way. If they make a real bad hire, they could slide off the end of the earth, but being in the heart of such a talent-saturated area, a good hire could turn them into the next Cincinnati.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I triple dog dare someone to tell Lucas we already have a coaching carousel thread. ;D

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bobby Bowden, come on down.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Fits right in with all the other geezers on the west coast of Florida.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He might be a little bit of a young whippersnapper for the area, but they'll warm to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted