1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Lampley Busted

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If a news report says a mother was arrested for beating her kids, do you wait for the indisputable proof? Or do you assume she's a child abuser?

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

A mother beating her kids is one thing.

But to say Tawny Kitaen was just as guilty in the court of public opinion is flat wrong. She became a punch-line. Leno and Letterman -- not to mention King Assclown Bill Simmons and many, many others -- treated it like a dog-bites-man story.

The response to Kitaen hitting Steve Finley was very different than the response to a male athlete hitting his wife -- and it should be, since men are mostly bigger and stronger.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Women arrested for domestic violence are rarely presumed guilty by the public....usually the public assumes the man deserved it to begin with, and the abuser is applauded for fighting back.

If Jim Lampley is convicted of this, he's a total scumbag....but I bet his career won't be nuked.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Stop crying. If you don't like it, don't read it. Geez. Go call the wild, or whatever. :)

5. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

That's Jack London, not Jack Kerouac, ace.

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Thanks, it's been a long night/day. I needed a good slap. London influenced Kerouac, and my mind stopped on that point, ergo, call of the wild reference.

Nonetheless, a good and worthy slap by the beat poet himself.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Or Chuck.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Imagine if it was Steve though. That'd make Tawny even crazier, since I'm sure she barely knew the guy, if at all.

9. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

This should be on the journalism board.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Oops. My bad, and my apologies to both Finleys.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

BTW, at least give credit to Romey Rome for not trying to spin or blow off the facts as we know it now considering Lampley is his friend. Contrast that with a certain MNF commentator with more hair on his back than his head (don't ask me how I know, it was startling enough) who thought it was no big deal when a midget that middle aged housewives find appealing completely made up a story that got published as if it were fact.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Lampley Accuser: He Was High, Drunk & Violent

Posted Jan 4th 2007 6:03PM by TMZ Staff
    Filed under: Celebrity Justice

Candice Sanders, the woman who filed the domestic violence complaint against sportscaster Jim Lampley claims he repeatedly threw her against the wall of her apartment after drinking heavily and smoking pot.

In documents obtained by TMZ, Candice Sanders claims that on New Year's Eve, Lampley and his son Aaron joined her for dinner. Sanders says she was engaged to Lampley, who she claimed lived with her in the apartment.

Sanders alleges after dinner, at their apartment, Lampley "was drinking vodka and whiskey and became drunk." She adds in the document that "he was also high on pot."

Sanders, Miss California USA 2003, says in the complaint that the trouble began when she wanted to finish watching a movie. Lampley then "pulled me from the sofa I was on" and "began to yell at me and chased me around the apartment."

Sanders says at that point all hell broke loose. She alleges, "He grabbed me and threw me against a wall. He then threw me against another wall. He then threw me against the door and I collapsed."Sanders goes on to say that 14-year-old Aaron saw her on the floor and she asked him to call the police. She writes in the document," Jim beat Aaron to the phone and kept Aaron from getting [to the phone]. She says Lampley then drove away with Aaron. Sanders claims she suffered head, neck and back injuries.

The 57-year-old Lampley was arrested last night on one felony count of domestic violence/corporal injury. He was also arrested for two misdemeanor counts of violating a restraining order and dissuading a witness.

Cops tell TMZ that the restraining order was issued on January 2. The next day (yesterday), Lampley showed up at Sanders' apartment as cops were investigating. That is the basis of the arrest for allegedly violating the restraining order.

Draft saved Draft deleted