1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Kelly's cancer is back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I loved that defense. I was a big Shane Conlan fan.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Hull made all the complicated line calls for a high-speed offense.
    Once again dipshit voters show they don't understand what they were watching.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Darren Talley a very unsung part of that D

4. Mizzougrad96

Great player, but I'd be surprised if he gets in. I think Polian lobbied for him right after he died.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Always thought Phil Hansen was a guy who never got enough recognition on that defence.

6. Mizzougrad96

When I was covering the NFL, I would have to do HOF profiles/features on all of the guys going in each year, and I got Kelly for a phoner on Lofton. He gave me what I needed and then without being prompted, started talking about DeLamielleure and I started panicking because I didn't think they had been teammates and then I saw that he had played that final year in Buffalo and I start frantically flipping through the media guide because I knew Kelly was in the Class of '84, but I had spaced the USFL stint. I think Kelly realized I was getting a bit confused and said, "Yeah, we never played together, but he's one of the great players in this franchise's history."

I felt very stupid.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Neat story, Mizzou. I also did a phoner with him once. He'd been hunting somewhere and was back at some lodge or cabin. I think he was well into some pops. Didn't make it seem like I was bugging him at all.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Blitz has a great Kelly story, which he's told me many times. I'll paraphrase here, and he can come by and correct it if I'm off on any details.

Kelly played in the Kent Hull charity golf tournament in Starkville one year, and talk came up about when Kelly and Miami came to Mississippi State in the early 80s and lost a close game on a controversial call.

When Blitz asked Kelly about the end of that game, Kelly looked him right in the eye and said "Cheatin' bitches."

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Heard a radio report Monday he had returned home after six weeks of chemo and radiation treatments.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tough to know how to take that. Could be sending him home because he responded to treatment. Could be sending him home because they have given up on treatment.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

My thoughts too, oop. I have neither seen nor heard any follow-up reports. Certainly hoping for the best.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Same here, but fearing the worst. I'm guessing good news would become public far more quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted