1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Kelly's cancer is back

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Does not sound good. Sorry if this is a d_b but didn't see it anywhere else.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-03-24/jim-kelly-cancer-returns-spreading-surgery-oral-cancer-jaw-removed-teeth-buffalo-bills

2. joe

joe Active Member

Damn. Cancer's an indiscriminate, persistent bastard.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus

Did he chew or dip?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, saw the pic of his daughter lying next to him in a hospital bed and got a big lump in my throat.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

No. He says he smoked cigars occasionally, but never smoked cigarettes or used smokeless tobacco.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fuck Cancer!

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Saw him in the Charlotte airport a couple years ago, boarding a flight to Buffalo. He was 50 at the time and looked like he could still play middle linebacker, let alone quarterback. Just an enormous man.

One of the airline employees asked him if he was Jim Kelly. Without missing a beat, he said "No, I'm Doug Flutie."

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. I really hate that. Way, way, way too young.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's really scary, then.

10. Mizzougrad96

My mom's uncle was a similar deal. He never touched cigarettes and he died of lung cancer in his 50s. My grandfather, who smoked two packs a day for 50 years, lived to 70.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When I go to the dentist, he tries to sell me an oral cancer screening by quoting some insanely high percentage of cases that have nothing to do with tobacco. I think he said it was more than half.

The obvious inference is that it's a rise in Michael Douglas-style cases, but that's a tough topic for a dentist to bring up.

12. Mizzougrad96

"Have you been going down on Catherine Zeta-Jones?, If so, I have a good cancer screening for you..."

Draft saved Draft deleted