1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Kaat's last telecast: Friday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 14, 2006.

1. I thought Kaat was a terrific TV guy, and my standards for baseball TV guys are ludicrously high; since I don't give as much of a damn about the game as some people do, they've got to work harder to hold my interest.
    And longtime Red Sox fans will remember that, in the pivotal final regular-season game in 1967, Kaat, who was pitching for the Twins, pulled something in his arm and had to come out, even though he was almost unhittable. The Impossible Dream Sox went on to win the pennant.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That's 'Kitty' Kaat to Yankee fans. 16 straight Gold Gloves. There's a Popular Mechanics piece on the web where he teaches the fundamentals of baseball, and he wrote that when he threw the curve, he shortened his stride by 1 inch compared to the fastball. I always wanted to ask him if he was joking.

He's a good listen and will be missed.

3. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Kaat was excellent, but I must say that John Flaherty has been very good so far in the broadcast booth, so at least YES brought in someone competent to replace him.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

That is a dirty, rotten shame. Kaat is really great and provides a lot of insight.

I guess if somebody is 68 and has been involved in baseball for 50 years they are entitled to retire, but I'm still disappointed and hope he can do some stuff, even on a once-a-week basis.

5. tommyp

tommyp Member

Along with his knowledge and experience, another great thing about Kaat was his versatility. He did an excellent job with both play-by-play and analysis. Definitely the most valuable and down-the-middle of all the Yankee broadcasters. If the Yanks decide to replace him, I certainly hope they will bring someone in who's not afraid of bashing the team--or the owner--when it's warranted.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Actually, it was the day before when that happened. Dean Chance was the starter and loser on the final day.

I'll add my disappointment that he's leaving. As BYH alluded to, Kaat could explain stuff, especially about pitching, without coming off as an all-knowing seamhead.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

A pro's pro, as a player and broadcaster, and he will be missed.

8. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Interesting thing about Jim Kaat and Tony Kubek is that they both retired during the season. Two terrific analysts.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well-said, patchs. Truly a class act. A broadcaster with insight, not schtick. What a beautiful thing.

10. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Baseball needs more no-nonsense, no pretense guys like Kitty Kaat. God bless.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Sadly, for every Kitty there are 20 homers or guys who think the booth is an extension of the team.

Draft saved Draft deleted