1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Johnson, RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MartinEnigmatica, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Keep Pounding, Jim. At least one linebacker is up there ready to go for you, good sir.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Man, what a loss.

R.I.P, Jim.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That sucks...

Great guy. Arguably the best or second best DC in the NFL for the last decade.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

He had a good run with Andy Reid.

5. Mizzougrad96

I did a story on the best NFL assistants who would never become head coaches and interviewed Johnson extensively for it. He was incredible to deal with.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My grandfather went in about four or five months from mesothelioma.

RIP Jim. Your loss is one all of the NFL feels deeply.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

RIP

His defense owned Pittsburgh last year.

Did they ever have a bad defense with Johnson?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think only in 1999, when the Eagles were an awful football team. Otherwise, facing the Eagles defense was a nightmare.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

prayers for his family. the eagles always seemed to have a defense where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. i remember thinking jeremiah trotter was done when he went to the redskins then he goes back to the eagles and is good again. it seemed like johnson also was liked and respected by every player

10. Mizzougrad96

If memory serves, that was Reid's first year. He can be forgiven for that...

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I wonder about the health affects that has on them. I'm no expert, but long hours and all that stress has got to be a cancer trigger. I know that coached generally get sick right after the season because the adrenaline wears off and their bodies are more susceptible. Just curious what long term affects they could suffer.

That said, RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted