1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Irsay: We let Manning go because we want championships

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So does this mean Roger Goodell is going to have Irsay whacked?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The scuttlebutt locally and among Colts fans is that Irsay wasn't talking about Manning. He was talking about Bill Polian, especially at the end when he was insisting on having Dumb Son Chris as GM. (Jim Irsay knows of Dumb Son GMs, having been one himself.)

The cited evidence is the rest of the story, where Irsay is effusive in his Manning praise, and Manning's actual departure, which was very emotional for Irsay. I know he's addled, but he's not that dumb that he doesn't realize Peyton Manning made him a shit-ton of money and got him the palace his team plays in today.

Also, look at the end of the story, when Irsay cites Bill Polian throwing in the towel in 2006 -- which happened to be the one year the Colts won the Super Bowl.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Goodell is Paulie not Jimmy. He'll do his time drinking wine in his bathrobe

4. printit

printit Member

If that was a shot at Manning, Irsay is a fool. Playoffs are often a crap shoot, best you can hope for is get there as often as you can and catch some breaks.
    If that was a shot at Polian, specifically for resting players late in the season, well, I agree, but Irsay was the owner, why didn't he do something about it then?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Winners win more than once.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Irsay is a-tweetin:

My comments meant if we gave Peyton better SP Teams n Def,we would have won more than 1 Sup/Bowl,instead of asking Peyton 2do too much

Then...

It's hard 2C how any individual could understand them any other way,but CONTRO sells so I understand the games "Let's get something started"

Then...

Greatest QB of their era,which is obviously Brady vs Peyton(my vote's Peyton),at least now the media will NOT use Sup/Bowl wins n debate!!

Then...

In that debate,the clock will spin swiftly back to October,2013...and theIr middle name will quickly endure a hyphen to add hypocrite 2 name

That last once almost sounds biblical, like he's Jimlijah the prophet.

I do believe that Irsay is taking his shots at Polian, but you also could say if he problems with the guy, why didn't he do anything about it?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I was Irsay, I would blame Dungy/Caldwell for the lone title.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Drinking and saying stupid shit. Sounds like the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Polian is an asshole of the first order, but he did the building there while Jimmy scarfed down OxyContin like they were Milk Duds.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Colts got exposed on Sunday -- old school style by the Chargers.

11. printit

printit Member

Anyone who complains about "only" winning one Super Bowl is a fool. There is luck involved in any human endeavor. Is it anyone's fault that Dwight Freeney got hurt in the AFC Championship game against the Jets and was a shell of himself in the Super Bowl? (watch the first quarter of that game when he was sorta effective and Brees looked terrible. After it was clear Freeney was going to be a non-factor the rest of the way the Saints offense was dominant). I love how Brady was the GREATEST QB OF ALL TIME when he was winning Super Bowls by 3 points and now, to some, has lost a step when his team loses Super Bowls by 3 points. I know saying shit happens doesn't fit any neat narrative for why the Colts "only" won one Super Bowl, and there were, I'm sure, some less than perfect decisions made along the way, but geez...

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Colts got exposed because Chuck Pagano and Pep Hamilton, having one of the great young quarterbacks at their disposal, are dreaming of running an offense that relies on fucking Trent Richardson and turns Luck into Mike Kruczek on the 1976 Steelers. Of course, it doesn't help that Colts receivers had a zillion drops, but hand over the keys to Luck and let him drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted