1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Healy lives!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, May 25, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There's hopefully some Californians on SportsJournalists.com who will dig this find, but for most of the rest of you, you're going to be exposed to the late L.A. radio icon Jim Healy for the first time. Take some time with this link and, above all, enjoy!

Here's the link: http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/healy.swf

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I posted on the other thread, but stumbled across that link about a year ago. I listened to Healy a lot in my SoCal days. 5:30 p.m. sharp to just past the dreaded 6 o'clock tone. He wasn't for everyone, but I thought he was great. Still do.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This. Freakin'. Rocks.

CFC, I haven't read every one of your 2,489 (and counting) posts, but this is unequivocally your most brilliant. Awesome, awesome find.

I know for a fact that "This F****** job isn't that F****** easy!"

For those of you who aren't familiar with the late Jim Healy... well, your loss. He was a radio icon in SoCal for eons, doing a sports show on the old KMPC-710 AM from 5:30 p.m. to roughly (that's right, roughly) 6:10 p.m.

He would cover the sports news of the day and intersperse funny clips like Tommy Lasorda ranting about Dave Kingman's performance ("What the @#^%&# do you think was my opinion of his performance? He hit three F*****g home runs against us!"), Don King waxing illiterate about the American justice system ("In this country, we have a system of justice, of Jewishprudence..."), Al Michaels channeling Howard Cosell ("Who goofed? I've GOT to know..."), the late Jerome Brown discussing World War II ("Did the Japanese sit down and have dinner with Pearl Harbor before they bombed them?") and a Myron Cope montage ("NOW What's going on down there?")

They need another show like this, only with updated soundbites.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree, Bird. It's a fantastic find. Healy also was on KLAC for a bit, too, if I remember. An absolute legend, and the L.A. Times sports sections still have some folks there who write some headlines from famous clips from the show.
    Such as Sunday's Bill Plaschke's column: What's Kent's opinion of their performance?

Which is the question Paul Olden asked Lasorda after Kingman's huge game.
    Olden: "What's your opinion of Kingman's performance?"
    Lasorda: "What's my opinion of Kingman's performance? What the f!@# do you think is my opinion of it, I thought it was f!@#ing horses!@#. OPINION of his performance."

That clip is on that site. As is the great Bavaqua rant. And how f-ing tough Lasorda's job was.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Before I got married, I used to have Lasorda's Kingman rant (the version with the bleeps) on my answering machine, followed by my voice.1:23 worth of a volcanic Lasorda and a petrified Olden.

When I'd discuss interviewing in my college class, I'd often play that clip and watch the students' eyes bug out. Then, I'd ask them what they'd do in that situation.

One of my bosses just turned 60. As a gift, a family friend put together a CD of his life, with Healyisms interspersed throughout. I listened to it driving home a couple weeks ago and it was the first time I'd heard many of these since Healy died. A really, really clever work.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Thanks for the great stories, Birdscribe. Too bad one of the Healyisms wasn't the Final Jeopardy item on the second day.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait for the dreaded tone.....

Draft saved Draft deleted