1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Donnan running a pyramid scheme for coaches?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Apparently Donnan got a shit-ton of coaches and players to invest in a retail liquidation company that wound up collapsing. The cavalcade of names: Billy Gillespie, Dennis Franchione, Tommy Tuberville, Frank Beamer, Mark Gottfried, Kendrell Bell, Jonas Jennings, Mike Gottfried, Tom Luginbill, Barry Switzer.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/did-franchione-lure-gillispie-into-donnan-ponzi-29808

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Remember when people on this board made fun of BLOGS?

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Bliiy Clyde must be the worst money manager in the history of sports. Between this and what he lost with the Salinas doofs, he is out millions apparently.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Then they went legit.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

blogs that is, blogs. pure gold, texas tea.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/6774323/jim-donnan-former-georgia-bulldog-coach-accused-ponzi-scheme?campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

7. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

no offense to the blog, but this story is about two months old. maybe older.

8. sully84

sully84 New Member

Yeah, I remember seeing the ESPN story on this mid-July along with a little wire story and a pretty detailed AJC story on it at the end of last month.

The blog adds pretty decent detail, though, even if most of this has already been reported pretty well.

The story probably hasn't gotten the national play I would have expected considering all the big names. I guess 'Mericans are a little bored with Ponzi scheme stories. Maybe we'll see some more come out on this one...

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

ESPN and the like - larger news agencies - aren't all that interested, I think, in exposing or implicating so many of the people they depend on for the "prettiness" of their lucrative collegiate athletics cash cow.
    It'd be a nice "get" for any news agency, though, to blow this story up.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

At one time I was hoping Donnan would get the UNC job. Yikes.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Funny, I first heard/read about this on ESPN.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Have they subsequently "blown the story up" ... why, no.
    Of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted