1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Delany: Speed equals dumb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Major Batman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Wait, you just said there's no correlation between academic and athletic achievement. So why, by that rationale, would a team of merit scholars be any worse off than a team of 2.0 GPAs?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm pretty sure they have significant restrictions.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In fact, while you're at it, go ahead and call them the Northwestern Wildcats...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They might not. Nobody should care either way. If you want to have good football players, recruit good football players. If you want to have good students, recruit good students. If some of them happen to be both, then whoop-dee-doodle doo, but nobody cares.

And if it turns out that none of them DO happen to be both, then don't whine about it.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Sounds like DyePack became the Big Televen Commissioner. :)

Totally pathetic whining. "Waaaah, OSU got embarrassed on national TV! Give me my damn rattle!"

6. Contacted in prison, Maurice Clarett had no comment.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Contacted at his local pub at 9 a.m., neither did Kerry Collins.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SEC schools are not allowed to accept partial qualifiers. That's why God made Conference USA (and Louisville).

9. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Just read today that of the 48 defensive linemen who started the final game of the season in the SEC, 42 were African-American.
    Could Delany by walking a racial tightrope here?
    Not accusing. Just asking.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bill, is that a reach?

And Jim Delany hasn't been studying Mississippi State's results in the last 40 years if he thinks dumb = BCS bowl bid.

P.S. Louisville's in the Big East of the Rockies nowadays.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

A reach? Could be. I'm not sure. That's why I threw it out there for discussion.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted