1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Delany: Speed equals dumb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Major Batman, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

SIAP, but i didn't see it anywhere.

http://bigten.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020907aaa.html

Check out this doosy from the Big Televen commish:

"I love speed and the SEC has great speed, especially on the defensive line, but there are appropriate balances when mixing academics and athletics. Each school, as well as each conference, simply must do what fits their mission regardless of what a recruiting service recommends. I wish we had six teams among the top 10 recruiting classes every year, but winning our way requires some discipline and restraint with the recruitment process. Not every athlete fits athletically, academically or socially at every university. Fortunately, we have been able to balance our athletic and academic mission so that we can compete successfully and keep faith with our academic standards."

I knew it, fast people are less intelligent. I bet Delany's freaking Carl Lewis.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: Jim Delaney: Speed equals dumb

Having met the man I can say that my impression of him is that he is waaaaayyyyyy out there.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Isn't the SEC the last of the major conferences with virtually no restrictions on academic non- and partial-qualifiers?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Lamest.

Excuse.

Ever.

(And the invention of a new SportsJournalists.com cliche, I suspect.)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They were pissing and moaning about that on a local talk show.
    One caller challenged them to say what specificallywas wrong about Delany (It's not DELANEY. Our local columnist does that, showing he's incapable of getting the smallest thing right) wrote.
    They couldn't; they agreed with the academic portions. While I agree with them on what the hell was a league commish doing writing this and think it's lame justification for OSU getting its ass kicked by Florida, bottom line is academic standard argument is probably spot on.
    I dont recall seeing Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas near the top of many education studies...

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Ohio State University: We coulda won the title, but we're just too doggone smart.

7. Major Batman

Major Batman Member

Sorry about misspelling his name. If I weren't so darn fast I'd have gotten it right.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is OK. The columnist is still incapable of getting things right. At least you'll run a correction... ;)

And yes the Big Televen does have its share of morombiciles...

[​IMG]

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

This, from the commisioner of an 11-team conference that still calls itself the Big Ten.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

No wonder I'm so smart. /5.4 in the 40

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

But we sure are good at getting arrested!!! Guess if they were faster, they could have gotten away. But they didn't seem to be smart enough to stay out of trouble in the first place. There goes that theory.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anybody who thinks there is any correlation whatsoever between athletic ability and academic/intellectual accomplishment is, by demonstration, an imbecile beyond rational discussion.

If you don't want to field big-time football and basketball teams, fine. Field your teams of National Merit Scholars, and play in front of 50,000 empty seats.

Draft saved Draft deleted