1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Brown VS Mike Holmgren

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They sucked with him making $500k, they can suck without him making that much, too.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wonder what the weekly I worked for in the late 1970s would pay me to hang around and mentor their one-person sports staff?

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Jim Brown gets $500k for, basically, being associated with the Browns, whether he does appearances or not.

Holmgren is being accused of asking Brown to take a pay cut. And Brown trips out.

And Whitlock is about to have the Fox Sports Brinks' truck pull up to his door, errr, strip club where he's parked at and he screaming bloody murder over Brown being asked to take a pay cut.

Pot meets kettle, Big Boy.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess the central question is - is it more embarassing to Brown for everyone to know he was just hanging out for the money, or the Browns for people finding out they were paying that much to get him to hang around?

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The other injustice is the Browns had some front office cutbacks last year that cost real people jobs that probably paid about $30K.

So they got pushed out the door while the organization was paying half a million for Jim Brown to come around now and again.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

That would be a hell of a fight. I'd put my money on Holmgren.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I was rally hoping this thread was about a proposed eating contest or bad-ass mustache competition between the two.

And I think Brown was brought back to the fold while Crennell was there if not earlier.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering the trouble Brown has been in over the years, he should be thanking God that any team wants anything to do with him.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

When did Jim Brown play in the NFL? I thought he was an actor.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I wonder how many teams "employ" their legends in one capacity or another -- not counting actual management or coaching. It might make an interesting story. I think Bud Grant still works for the Vikings, and Tom Kelly does some scouting for the Twins.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think a lot of teams will put former stars on the payroll, especially if they're local and able to show up from time to time.

They do some charity appearances, schmooze with sponsors, pop into the luxury suites to say hi, that sort of thing.

I know from dealing with the Knicks & Rangers that they either had guys on payroll, or knew who they could reach out to if you wanted a former player at an event. Same with the Yankees.

The Blackhawks have done the same thing in the last year.

But $500,000 to do nothing? That's a lot different.

I think only the Yankees would be capable of that. That's why I asked about Reggie. George loved to keep Hall of Famers in the fold.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Depends if Holmgren ever got his shoulders fixed. By the time he got to the North Stars they were so shot he had trouble brushing his teeth. On the ice he couldn't stop/block overhands.

Draft saved Draft deleted