1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Brown VS Mike Holmgren

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting column by Whitlock about dispute between Jim Brown and Mike Holmgren:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jim-brown-mike-holmgren-jason-whitlock-need-to-work-it-out-090210

Seems like Brown was being paid half a mil by team as consultant and Holmgren wanted to cut him back to $100,000 for basically being a greater. Brown told him to shove it.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Jim Brown VS Paul Holmgren

And Brown throws down the racist card. Unlike Whitliock, I don't think Brown's time is valuable. What else does he have going in his life except to complain the Browns are wronging him?

BTW, was Paul Holmgren intentional?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The issue IS the money.

Jim Brown has never been actively involved in professional football coaching or management. His last direct involvement with the game came when he walked away from it 45 years ago.

He certainly was one of the three or four greatest (or maybe THE greatest) players ever to play the game, but if his expertise in running an NFL franchise had any value, he would have been getting paid (and plenty) for it several decades ago.

The issue here is, basically, how much money Jim Brown will be getting paid for doing nothing.

4. Boom_70

He was being paid half a million which seems like a lot

5. Boom_70

It was interesting that the Browns were paying Brown $500,000 for whatever he was doing.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This whole idea of veteran/legacy mentoring is about the most overblown thing the NFL has. It makes the fans feel good to see their old dudes but it has zero impact in the locker room or on the game. Holmgren seemed to do OK in Green Bay without Bart Starr and Paul Hornung blessing every move.

7. Starman

ding ding ding

"mentoring" basically is a load of shit.

8. Boom_70

I bet Mangini was behind it.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wonder what the Yankees pay Reggie to hang around the batting cage once in a while. probably about the same Brown was getting.

I also wonder how many others like him are on the payroll & if the sons will want to keep paying them.

10. Starman

Well, Yogi for one, but he probably won't be around all that much longer.

I think Bobby Murcer had some kind of semi-ceremonial gig before he passed in 2008. I would guess Whitey Ford and Don Larsen might as well, and they're also in their 80s.

Once you get into the 1980s and beyond, the era of short-term free agents, rent-a-players, etc etc, I don't think fans identify enough with players to make them franchise "ambassadors" in old age. Jeter of course will be a major exception to this, along with Riviera and Bernie Williams.

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Jim Brown is well-off, financially. The injustice is the ex-NFL player who is in his 50s or 60s, and has trouble getting out of bed, but doesn't get a decent pension from the league.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Browns probably were paying Brown for his link to the old Browns. If they don't think he's worth 500k anymore, fine. But for Brown to now call the Browns out just because they want to cut his pay?
    He's either doing it for the money, or he's not.

Draft saved Draft deleted