1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Bowden going down?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

SI's look into the Nationals' lawless international scouting department heats up. Looks like Bowden could be headed for a big fall. This is the "steroids" story of the next year, between the Nationals and White Sox, and god knows who else.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/02/22/segura.feds.investigate.nationals/index.html
    The Chicago Trib has more on it...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-dominicanfeb23,0,7909180.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-dominican_siderfeb23,0,489995.story

The latter has this odd detail on David Wilder, the erstwhile head of the Sox's development team:

According to documents obtained by the Tribune, Wilder in November 2006 opened a night spot, Club Burn, that operated "at a great loss" despite being voted Phoenix's top gay bar in 2007. Records show it lost about $570,000 in a matter of months and closed its doors in January 2008.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Not sure Bowden gets the blame for this one.
    Lots of other teams got burned by the same info on Lugo.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

As a marginal Nats fan, I would not be disappointed to see Bowden run out of town on a rail

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Sorry, links were messed up. It's not just about that prospect. Bowden is accused of skimming as far back as 1994.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does that mean you are a marginal fan of the Gnats or a fan of the marginal Gnats?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

I know, I'm just saying that this will not be the final blow to him because a lot of people got fooled on this one.
    Had he been the only one, different story.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I would not be surprised if he knew something fishy was going on.

I would be surprised if he knew the extent. Just because he may have turned a blind eye to what he may have thought was happening doesn't mean he did so with the understanding of the entire scheme.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

... not on me.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Either works, both work.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This looks familiar. ESPN is probably laughing at SI.com for its D_B of the Fainaru-Wada/Quinn exclusive of last summer.

11. Whatever. At the very least, Mr. Bowden is in for some lengthy chats with that nice young man from the IRS.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Actually it's just a major update on that story, which I remembered fully. In the ESPN story, this graph particularly has been changed:

Reached in his office Friday evening, Bowden said he and other Nationals officials have spoken to both MLB's investigators and the FBI, as have officials from other clubs. But he said neither the FBI nor Major League Baseball has told him he is suspected of taking part in the scheme or in any way suspected of wrongdoing. Bowden said he was never asked about his own activities, and denied having any role in the scandal.

Draft saved Draft deleted