1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Balsillie believes Canada should have another NHL franchise.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 16, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just a minute, please. You forgot something:

Last year the Predators averaged 14,910 at home, 87.1 percent of capacity. In terms of percentage of available seating capacity, there are several teams that are worse (including two of the Original Six). And the only team in the league under that 14,000 threshold is the one playing on Long Island (13,640 average; 83.7 percent of capacity; 35-38-9, 5th in the Atlantic; anybody for fishsticks?).

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I hope that your not arguing that Nashville is a strong market. You have to take those attendance figures with a grain of salt. They lost over 70 mill in the last 3 years. Leopold tried everything and he finally gave up. They sold a whopping 500 season tickets on their save the Predators blitz.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's allowed not aloud, BTW. [/grammar nut]

4. 2muchcoffeeman

The point is there's a 20-year lease there. (And how come nobody wants to talk about Columbus as a shitty market, anyway?)

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Columbus is in the league?

I was thinking while watching the World Championship that if Rick Nash were playing almost anywhere but Columbus (oh, well maybe Atlanta, Phoenix...those guys), he'd be one of the poster boys for the league.

He's good looking, there's hardly a defenseman in the league who can knock him off the puck and he's got the softest hands of any player not named Mario.

The guy is a fuckin' stud.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

The folks in Cleveland would love it. The annual Easter bantam tournament in Kam-hole invited the Cleveland Barons the same year Columbus started in the NHL.
    I interviewed the coaches and players and, to a man, they were pissed that Cleveland had lost a bid for a team over Columbus.

Side note: The bantam Barons got into a high-holy-hellacious brawl with the home team in the opening night feature game. ;)

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Columbus is at least on the correct side of the Mason-Dixon line for a hockey team.

The BJ's are the only major league sports team in town (besides the MLS Crew), but even they get overshadowed by OSU.

For several years, they sold out every game. Problem is, when you're horrible for so long, eventually, the fans are going to find something else to do. Especially when another team in town plays for national championships on a regular basis.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

I was about to point out that Columbus already has a major-league franchise in the Fuckeyes.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Columbus is one of those teams you're lucky to see on TV a couple of times a year up here.

And when I do, I say, "Oh, that's what happened to Fredrik Modin "

Like I said on the other hockey thread, if Rick Nash were playing on high profile team, he'd be one of the faces of the league.

Guy's a bull--which is stronger than a mule. :)

10. 2muchcoffeeman

After the BJs move to Hamilton, they can revive this logo:

[​IMG]

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Great grab.

"Power Play" starred Michael Riley, the brother of a woman I worked with for a number of years. He took up acting in high school because it seemed like a Mickey Mouse course. He's had a pretty good career as a character actor.

All the hockey scenes were fillmed at The Copps Coliseum.

Draft saved Draft deleted