1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Armstrong Out at Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 5, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not a thing, as far as I know, at least not then, and not as part of an "disciplinary" action. He might have been reassigned after the season or whatever. No obvious action against him.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The writer of this story is a former Rocky Mountain News writer.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

The guy who immediately came to mind as the writer wasn't, I don't think. Maybe PM me and see if we're thinking of the same person.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jimmy is a great guy. I don't doubt for a second that all of this is true, but it still saddens me. He's the guy who knows everyone, never forgets a name and always has a crowd around him in the press box because he's an unbelievable storyteller and just a great guy to hang out with.

An awful, awful way to end a great career.

5. Mizzougrad96

Gambling in the newsroom was pretty widespread at two of the places where I worked. At one place the deskers would call in bets on Fridays and Saturdays for the college and pro football games.

My first year out of school I placed one bet when the beat writer called in that a key starter was out, but that the information wouldn't be released for another day or two. The writers and the desk were scrambling to see how much money they could put on the game. One of the copy editors pitched it to me as "a once in a lifetime lock" which in hindsight, it absolutely was. I bet $300 and was one of just a few who didn't bet more than $1000. I was 22 at the time and it was all I had.

The whole thing just freaked me out and I never placed another illegal bet again.

But people are kidding themselves if they think Armstrong is the only writer placing illegal bets.

6. In many states it is not illegal to make a bet but it is illegal to take a bet. If a reporter worked in one of those states but was found to be involved with an illegal bookie - would the circumstances be different?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Out here, it's just a petty offense. Those who placed the bets in this aren't being charged.

8. hankschu

hankschu Member

Anyone else think it's wrong that a law enforcement person went undercover at a 12-step meeting, where folks are supposed to be honest about their deeds?

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Absolutely. I do.
    There are some entrapment issues for sure; not to mention doctor/mentor privileges infringed upon.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I understand the aspect of "illegality" in this situation with regard to the placement of the wagers.

What I do not understand is the absolute standard some have asserted here that wagering on games is disqualifying for a sportswriter.

I have seen with my own eyes folks who cover horse racing at the parimutuel windows. I have even seen tracks where they set up a special window in the press box to accommodate the credentialed reporters covering the day's races. Should all those folks really be fired from their jobs becuse they bet on games?

Should this extend to fantasy sports - - which almost always have a monetary aspect to them? Should a baseball reporter be fired for being in a baseball fantasy league? Should a baseball reporter be fired for being in a football fantasy league?

As I said, there are legal issues here and the police and the courts should handle those issues regardless of the fact that one of the persons involved is a sports reporter. However, I think firing here is a bit over the top.

FWIW...

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

One more point:

I would recognize Jim Armstrong having seen him on Around the Horn a few times and I have read his columns in the Denver Post online. Other than that, I do not know Jim Armstrong from Jack Armstrong...

12. Mizzougrad96

I don't disagree, but I also get the sense that the story we're being told is only a fraction of what is out there.

I highly doubt Jimmy's alleged gambling ever impacted how he covered an event. But, only he knows if that's truly the case.

I know tons of sportswriters who gamble, most illegally. This is the first time I've ever heard of a sportswriter getting fired for gambling.

It's just sad. We'll probably never know what the whole story is, because what incentive is there for anyone to pursue it at this point?

Jimmy's talented enough that he could rebound pretty quickly if something like this doesn't prevent him from going to one of the websites.

Draft saved Draft deleted