1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jiffy Lube scam - caught on tape

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I've gone to a Valvoline oil change place around the corner from my house twice, and they've been pretty good with me. They let you stand with them in the garage and watch them work, so you know they're actually doing what they say they're doing, and they haven't been overly pushy with trying to sell me other stuff. The common line is "This is something you probably don't need done today, but might want to keep an eye on for next time," which seems pretty legit to me.

I bought a new air filter from them the first time, but it was definitely needed and when I came in the next time a few months later, they checked it and said it looked to be in great shape. The honesty was refreshing.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Buy a couple of ramps at Big Mart and change your own oil, people. Please.

And speaking of scams ... let's talk about premium gasoline and octane rating. The "octane rating" measures a fuel's tendency to knock or ping against that of pure octane, which has a rating of 100.

"Premium," my ass. The only difference between regular unleaded and "premium" versions is that the higher-octane stuff burns slightly slower; some cars (but not many) may need that. Beyond that, there is no advantage to running "premium" gasoline. None. So why is it marketed as being better, although nobody says exactly how it's better? Because many consumers are stupid enough to believe that lie. "Premium" gasoline does not improve mileage, increase engine life, start quicker, increase power or anything else. It just burns infinitesmally slower.

Use regular unleaded unless 1) your owner's manual recommends a higher octane rating (in which case you really could violate your warranty by using regular unleaded) or 2) you legitimately have a case of engine knock, in which case you may wish to check in your car for service ASAP.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've actually posted a similar post before, but at an Econo Lube they told me I needed the transmition service complete with example of dirty fluid. Stupid me, I gave them a go. Very next visit got the same talk with the same example. Told them just had it done last time, the guy fumbled around for a minute, went back to a computer for a second came back and told me I was good to go. Indeed.

All these places are frauds. I actually went to Midas yesterday and got a quick and cheap oil change, but they even tried to get me to replace the transmition fluid. At least they didn't hassle me when I said no. If I had more time and not an 18-month-old to take with me in the process, I'd almost always go to a dealer instead. They're usually cheaper, and I've never been given any crap by them.

4. Actually, most warranty and extended warranty programs make you schedule transmission service every 30K miles; miss it once, and the warranty is rendered void. They'll often give you a cushion, like 1,000 miles on each side of 30/60/90 etc., but that's it.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Go reread your warranty. There's just some vaguely ominous language about any failure or noncompliance caused by lack of maintenance being cause to void the warranty. You should always keep the paperwork from major repair work or maintenance.

Extended warranties, except in certain circumstances, are another scam.

And fetch me a beer.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've got to disagree with you on the change-your-own idea. I used to be really anal about doing it myself, but then I bought a car where the oil filter was pretty much under the middle of the car. Ramps didn't cut it. With that, along with the constant search for places to take used oil and the hassle of storing it, it just wasn't worth it anymore. I've still got a pro-model floor jack, ramps, timing gun and all that stuff. I use the jack about once a year, the rest of it gathers dust.

You're absolutely right about the premium gas thing though. Using premium when it's not called for actually can hurt your mileage. And I don't even know what that mid-grade stuff is for--it's not enough to use in cars that need premium, so unless you've got real spark-knock problems, it's a waste. Of course, most people who buy it think they're doing their cars a favor or something.

And I'll take a beer too, VLM.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There is still some great work being done in local TV.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Are radiator flushes/engine flushes/transmission flushes particularly profitable? Are those procedures unusually cheap in terms of what they cost a place for materials and labor vs. what the places can charge for them?

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

They are if they don't do the labor.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Very true, but what if they actually do the work?

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I paid $1,000 for my second car when I was in my sophomore year of college. Nice car, nothing great.

Two months after I got it, I took it in to one of those quick-change places for an oil change. Got it done, then the next day, as I was driving to the gym in a snowstorm, the car died.

Come to find out it was out of oil and the engine was fried. Someone neglected to replace the drain plug when they finished the oil change.

Contacted a lawyer, but was told it was essentially their word against mine and not to bother pursuing it.

Fuckers.

12. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Mechanics are terrorists.

Draft saved Draft deleted