1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jiffy Lube scam - caught on tape

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My car's not all that old, and that's pretty much all I have to do.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You have cars in Montana? I figured you for a Conestoga wagon and a team of oxen. :D

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm advanced. Most folks still haven't upgraded to a wagon and oxen. They're still riding around on horses. Makes for an awful mess in the streets. I have to be careful or my heels get all icky.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No one has yet mentioned this gem from Leo when on the phone with management.

"Channel 4 is here now... They caught us on camera."

OOPS!

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Go to your dealership instead for service. They already ripped you off when you bought the car.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You're right, but upsale techniques are considered good business. People who defend this kind of crap say "Well, it's just like when you go into a fast food place and ask if you'd like fries."
    No it isn't. Nobldy implies that something bad could happen if you don't order fries.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I admit, I still go to Jiffy Lube. I could go across the street to a dealer who advertises a cheaper service, but they'd take an hour and try to sell me a new car while I wait. I'd rather be hassled for the air filter.

But like someone else said, I let them change the oil. Nothing more. With one of the family cars (dodge that sucks to high heaven), I don't even think they want the challenge of up-selling. Better to move me along and try for a sucker in the next car, which actually has a chance of being on the road two years from now.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I had a friend go to a Jiffy Lube outside Philadelphia, and they told her she needed to get her brake fluid changed - which she did, not knowing that to be 1,000,000 times false. I told her after the fact my 1962 Buick most likely has the same brake fluid that was put in there 44 years ago.

It must be a girl thing. From what has happened to my friends, they'll tell a woman she needs a new Johnson Rod, but will be tell a man, filter and oil, and your brake light is out. I used to go to Jiffy Lube too...no more.

The moral of the story is I wish you could change the oil on cars today yourself. $15 for five quarts of oil and new filter for that 44-year-old buick, plus a grease gun to the fittings, and you're good to go. It is nearly impossible to change the oil on my '99 Ford Ranger 4x4.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Him: "Your car needs a radiator flush."
    Me: "My radiator was replaced a month ago."
    Him: "Oh."

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Knowledge with a Jiffy Lube is disarming.

One time, I couldn't get back to my regular mechanics (truly good, knowledgeable guys in neighboring state) and I was going 90 days without an oil/oil filter change. I don't drive an ultra-common vehicle, so I checked to make sure they had a proper oil filter.

Take it in. Watch out the window to see that stuff is done. Manager walks up to me with the vehicle's air filter. Tells me it's dirty (thanks, Captain Obvious ... any filter more than a hour-long trip old has dirt in it) and needs replacing. Then tells me he doesn't have one in stock. I said "so why do you have it out of my vehicle?"

Manager weakly smiles at that one. Pushes the fuel system flush sales crap, to which I answer "please tell me how that's any better than buying a bottle of fuel injection cleaner to put in with my next tank of gasoline?" No answer. I ask him to get his young guys not to use his airguns to tighten the lugnuts on my vehicle. (I don't care for being antagonistic, but if you're going to assume I'm stupid, the a_shole in me emerges in a hurry).

When I get it back, it has 2/10 of a quart too much oil (my manufacturer's TO is a lot more accurate than their computer) and all four tires had different pressure readings. Lucky for them they somehow got the filter on without screwing that up.

Suffice it to say, find a dependable mechanic (or if you have one, stick with him/her), pay a couple of bucks more and call it the smartest peace of mind one can buy.

12. They were surprisingly good about it. I didn't notice there was a problem originally until a few hours later. I took the car to another Jiffy Lube, they saw the problem and they called the district manager immediately. They arranged for a local car dealer to fix it. I was in touch with the DM constantly, and he told me to get/do whatever I needed to get/do.

They also paid for the rental car I needed while the repairs were being done, and the meals I ate. I made sure I didn't eat at McDonald's, but I didn't soak them for a night at the Ritz, either. All told, I think the total charges were about $1,500.

He handled all of it very professionally, but I made it clear from the beginning that I was extremely pissed and probably wouldn't patronize JL again. He didn't try to talk me out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted