1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jiffy Lube scam - caught on tape

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. I normally went to Jiffy Lube because of the free car wash passes. But I carry a detailed car maintenance spreadsheet that lists when I need to get what done whenever I go, just because they prey on uncertainty, and I don't feel like dealing with that.

I probably did get that fake dirty radiator fluid scam, but I pulled out the sheet and politely showed them I was less than halfway through my most recent switch. They deserve a lot harsher punishment, but I'd prefer to wait until after they have access to my car's most crucial parts.

2. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

absolute crooks...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm just making fun of that video when the mechanics were telling how it worked but then never used it.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The cornerstones of a successful business are repeat customers and referrals, not scamming someone or overselling your products and services.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Their model is clearly based on hectoring customers into buying any and every high-markup
    auxiliary service they can muster. You'd like to think overt thievery wasn't necessary,
    but you can't control all your franchisees, can you? . ..

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

About 10 years ago out here in Calif., this oil-change franchise called Econo Lube 'n Tune was reamed big-time by the state for fraudulent business and marketing practices performed by some of their franchisees.

After all the bad publicity and millions in fines, they had to cut back drastically, the upshot of which being forfeiting their market share to our friends at Jiffy Lube.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Props to the reporter on that one, by the way.

He had that locked down and screwed on tight.

8. I had my transmission flushed and filled at Jiffy Lube once. In the process, they managed to put a hole in my radiator and left me stranded in a strange town for three days.

JL paid for my new radiator, and my hotel, and the clothes I needed to buy to stick around until the repairs were done. But I'll never, ever patronize them again, and I suggest you all do the same.

9. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

That is terrific reporting. I laughed my head off at the district manager.

Thanks for posting it, poindexter.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I get my oil changed there sometimes, but nothing else. They've mostly quit trying to sell me extra stuff ever since they brought my air filter in and explained how it needed to be changed. I took it from him, banged it on the floor twice to get the crud out, and handed it back, saying "OK, you can put it back now."

When there's no employees in the waiting room, I'll often tell people who have been hit up for the "engine flush" (money flush is more like it) that there's no reason ever to have that done, and if the guy says there is, have him show you where in the owner's manual that's recommended.

They are scum.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here is 2muchcoffeeman's first rule of car ownership:

RTFM1

As a basic rule of thumb, with modern cars you only have to schedule transmission service every 50K miles unless you're absolutely driving the car into the ground. Air filters are annual, tire rotation is annual to semi-annual and spark plugs only become a concern at 100K miles. For all intents and purposes, modern radiator fluid is something you won't have to worry about, unless you have your car for a decade or more2. And speaking of air filters, a K&N reusable air filter is an excellent investment --- they filter a lot better than disposable paper filters.

I highly recommemend synthetic motor oil. Engine runs smoother, the oil doesn't break down like dinosaur oil3 and your engine lasts longer.1That's Read The Friendly Manual. Why? What did you think the F stood for?
    2According to the owner's manual for my 2002 Camaro (which uses the new yellow Dex-Cool coolant), the radiator doesn't have to be flushed until the car hits 150K miles. I'm not worried about it.
    3I'm told by those who know such things that the only real reason to change synthetic oil is the fact that the oil filter needs to be changed.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not all of us are driving old Ford Torinos. :D With modern emissions controls, it's usually a bit more complicated than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted