1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jews ordered to register in Ukraine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 17, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/04/17/jews-ordered-to-register-in-east-ukraine/7816951/

Now this here is some fucked-up shit.

The leaflets bore the name of Denis Pushilin, who identified himself as chairman of "Donetsk's temporary government," and were distributed near the Donetsk synagogue and other areas, according to the reports.

Pushilin acknowledged that flyers were distributed under his organization's name in Donetsk, but denied any connection to them, Ynet reported in Hebrew.

The leaflet then described which documents Jews should provide: "ID and passport are required to register your Jewish religion, religious documents of family members, as well as documents establishing the rights to all real estate property that belongs to you, including vehicles."

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stupid comment, I apologize...

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Anyway, this is right in line with Russian history. They're stirring up images from days gone by of heroic Cossacks pureifying the land for Mother Russia so it was only a matter of time before some idiot decided harkening back to the time of pogroms was a good idea.

Pathetic.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Even without a good knowledge of the history, this should be pretty disturbing to anybody. No idea what the hell Mizzou was thinking with that response.

I had great grandparents who fled Russia and the Ukraine due to that history you are talking about. I hope people understand how dangerous this can turn out to be.

5. OR, it's possible that Pushilin is telling the truth. It's possible that a (very savvy) pro-Ukraine faction in Donetsk realized what a shitstorm this would cause, printed up a few flyers and then sat back and watched the results. It's even possible that this pro-Ukraine faction has been advised on this strategy by a "Western non-governmental organization" (cough, cough, CIA).

Look, the overthrow of Yanukovych has gone badly. The Ukrainian opposition bit off more than they could chew, and now they may lose the East because of it. What better way to swing indifferent world opinion by raising fears (many legitimate) of anti-semitism?.

6. outofplace

As I said, it's a matter of how dangerous it can be. Given the history, you don't just assume it's going to be just fine.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's possible.

But with their economies hitting the crapper in recent years, antisemitism has been on the rise in Eastern Europe -- to a scary degree. It has been pretty bad in Eastern Ukraine, because their economy never even had the boom that most of Europe had in the late 1990s and early 2000s. And Jews always make a great scapegoat.

What you are throwing out there is conjecture. It's possible, even if it really isn't likely -- even the CIA can't be as stupid as you are suggesting; it's not that difficult to see how fanning antisemitic passions there could create an out-of-hand situation. Plus, the White House has been pretty quick with its condemnation. It would be stupid to be that out in front of something that could come back and bite them.

The fliers are in character for the pro-Russian types. All someone has to do is go to where the Jews are supposed to register, to find out if it really is what it appears to be. The people responsible might not follow through with it now with the negative response, but who knows?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That was my first, possibly naive, sentiment. That has to be opposition work trying to make them look bad. But again, maybe I'm naive.

9. outofplace

And I may be too far the other way. I grew up with stories about pogroms, about my great-grandmother and her family having to leave everything behind when they escaped to the United States. My own family history certainly colors my perceptions here, but it also allows me to have more awareness of what something like this can lead to.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1900 is not 2014.

[/dick_whitman_crossthread]

11. outofplace

No, it is not, but people are no better now than they were then.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Rather than say anti-Semitism is on the rise in Eastern Europe, I'd say it's on the rise across the globe.

Draft saved Draft deleted