1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish player sues Anaheim Ducks, saying he was mistreated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't the Ducks employ the coaches as part of the affiliation agreement?

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Smash Williams hit on the big one here. Owners are children of Holocaust survivors who built a completely new life in the United States after the devastation in Europe.

Very curious to see the fallout from this.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well done.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, though I think it also matters what was said.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Probably blood libel and such ...

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I once covered a player who - while on another team, in juniors - had 2 of his teammates greet his entry into hockey by carving swastikas into their helmets (one of whom eventually played in the NHL). So "harassment" can come in different forms.

7. dieditor

dieditor Member

I'm a Condors fan, so I remember when this came about a couple years ago. All fans knew about Jason Bailey was that when he played, he sucked. When this all came about, Marty Raymond was suspended for a week, Mark Pederson was suspended for two and was told his contract wouldn't be renewed. He's coaching in Europe now. At the time nobody would say why the coaches were suspended, except for one Bakersfield TV station that reported an anonymous phone call from a guy who supposedly turned out to be the player's dad. Here's a blog post from the team's beat writer about it:

http://people.bakersfield.com/home/Blog/CondorsTalk/45438

It seems as though Bailey's dad called every media outlet in Bakersfield but wouldn't leave a name until the editor got involved, then wouldn't call the writer back. The Condors aren't a Ducks affiliate anymore, and Bailey got traded to Ottawa, where he plays full-time in the AHL, a step above the ECHL. He has a total of six goals in 81 games at that level. What the coaches supposedly said is totally unacceptable, and I can't blame the guy for suing, but don't be fooled into thinking he's the next Sidney Crosby. His lack of talent is doing a pretty good job of holding back his hockey career.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I get it. The guy's a shitty hockey player and his dad is an ass, so it's OK to harass him about his religion.

9. dieditor

dieditor Member

" What the coaches supposedly said is totally unacceptable, and I can't blame the guy for suing..."

Guess I should have bolded that.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I saw that, but bringing his ability as a player into the argument is akin to saying the secretary who was sexually harassed had a big chest and wore low-cut tops, so what would you expect.

Bailey's suit has to do with workplace harassment. He's not claiming the treatment is holding back his career.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Well, we don't know that necessarily. He could very easily be asking for damages based on "restricted career earnings" or something of that nature.

What's a typical punishment for a manager who is guilty of harassment assuming there is no history of it (and I would assume there is no history, at least recorded, of these coaches harassing a player because of race or religion since that's not mentioned in the suit)?

Without-pay suspensions and letters of apology would seem fairly standard, but I also am not very familiar with what's considered standard in a case like this.

12. dieditor

dieditor Member

One story I saw on this case claimed that very thing, so my bad for thinking about the wrong one. The behavior is inexcusable if true. All I'm saying is that it's possible that Bailey was benched because he was a lousy player, not because he was Jewish.

On another note, his attorneys picked a hell of a time to file this and go public, the day before Bakersfield hosted the All-Star Game. Good way to give the team a black eye at a bad time.

Draft saved Draft deleted