1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish player sues Anaheim Ducks, saying he was mistreated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jan 26, 2011.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

http://www.ocregister.com/news/bailey-285628-ducks-complaint.html

Highlights:
    A Jewish hockey player drafted by the Anaheim Ducks who was assigned to play in a minor league sued the NHL team for religious discrimination and failure to prevent harassment in a complaint filed in Orange County Superior Court on Tuesday.
    ... From the beginning to the end of his time with the Condors, Bailey "was subject to severe and/or pervasive harassment on the basis of religion by being forced to endure a barrage of anti-Semitic, offensive and degrading verbal attacks regarding his Jewish faith" from the Condors' head coach, the complaint alleges.

My take:
    Ribbing about religion, race, sexuality, etc. is part of the "boys will be boys" mentality that surrounds pro teams. The fact the coaches were involved takes this to another level.

And I'm curious to why the writer didn't name the coaches.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My daughter heard about this and said, "You're a hockey player. Grow a pair and move on."

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, because that's exactly the correct response.

Edit: Apparently the two douche coaches wrote a letter of apology

They should have been fired on the spot.

5. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much the Ducks are liable for this, if only because they don't own the Condors. They're affiliated with them, yes, but it's not a situation like the Dallas/Texas Stars where one owns the other.

It's also a little ironic that a team owned by one of the most prominent Jewish men in the LA area is being sued for anti-Semitic discrimination.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't think it matters whether they're owned by the Ducks or not. They have a professional affiliation--Condors are the Duck's ECHL farm team.

More ironic is that the Kings are holding Jewish Pride Night tonight at the Staples Center

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So now we're demand ethnic/religious sensitivity from hockey players and coaches? Good luck with that. Is there no place left where men can still be cretinous ball-busting pigs without fear of lawsuit?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is no place of employment left that is like that, no. That's what is usually forgotten in cases like this. It's a workplace. The courts see it as no different from your office, even if you see it as no different from Delta House.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fucking bar mitzvah, here I come.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Pakistan

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And Augusta

Draft saved Draft deleted