1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish People, Are You Annoyed by Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I haven't been to temple since 10th-grade confirmation, which the temple makes you go to to make your bar mitvah in 7th grade legit. You get the 8th-grade year off then have to go to temple two more years.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Have the kids decorate cookies or cupcakes...lots of sprinkles, jellybeans, frosting, little letters....you cannot go wrong.

Or anything with stickers. Stickers are foolproof. Take their pictures, print them out, make a poster or card they can put stickers on.

21, the Martha Stewart of Cheesy Party Activities.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They scammed you to try to make you keep coming to the synagogue... Your Bar Mitzvah was legit and is a Jewish ritual, with or without any "confirmation."

The whole confirmation thing for 16-year-olds was made up by reformed Jews who felt that a 13-year-old isn't an adult. It was meant to replace the Bar Mitzvah. The thing is, Bar Mitvahs are really popular, and people still wanted them, so reform Synagogues brought them back and kept the confirmation thing, as well. You got jobbed by having to do both. :)

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great suggestions!

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Or I could send Boom over, they could decorate him. A giant Santa with a Jewish girlfriend, that could work.

6. Songbird

Of course. It's the Jewish way. ;D

The rabbi who bar mitzvah'd me was fired before confirmation year because many in the temple didn't like his liberal ways (read: a rabbi who smokes pot and plays guitar). But he was a good guy. In 6th grade he had the "Rabbi's Rangers" for the students who did really well grade-wise. He took those students to an Angels game. The game we went to, against the Rangers, the Angels scored 6 in top-1 and cruised after. Why I remember that, I have no idea.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Ashy, I completely forgot you were in an episode of the Wire in season 1. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT 20K????

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I found it annoying until people started telling everyone they couldn't put up anything acknowledging Christmas. Hell, they can't even show Frosty the Snowman at my kids' day care.

That's bullshit.

9. Songbird

Mizzou, so you must be mad at this little ditty:

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that's exactly the shit that pisses me off...

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mr. Gerson must hate the barber shop.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/2005/12/The-Town-That-Fought-Hatred.aspx

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted