1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish People, Are You Annoyed by Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I completely agree with PaperDoll on all counts.

A friend of mine who is 100% Jewish and her family (parents, cousins, etc.) semi-celebrate Christmas, which I just don't understand. They don't get a tree, but they call their family gathering, which is on December 25th, Christmas. They exchange Christmas presents. *That* offends me. It's like they've made Christmas a secular holiday and celebrate it. Yet they also celebrate Chanukah, light the menorah, etc.

Wreaths to me say Christmas. I don't know any Jews who hang wreaths (except my cousin, who is married to a Catholic guy). Egg nog and peppermint bark (and hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps) don't.

As for cards, I send out all different ones - Jews get Happy Chanukah, non-Jews get a more Christmasy card. Mixed couples/families get a happy holidays card.

Don't overthink, Luggie. The fact that you're even thinking about this says to me that you won't offend them.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of the funniest episodes.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's meshuga

And Dyno, I knew I wasn't crazy (at least for that reason)

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Thank you, Dyno and 21.

Xan, This is a group of moms and their toddlers. ;D I was toying with offering a hot cocoa/schnapps cocktail or something light like that, but dreidel drinking games are probably not a good idea. Nor was I thinking of doing a 'Star of David' craft project. (But I do want to do a fun craft for the kids, and these kids have probably done the snowflake all season.)

In terms of gifts and decor, I actually prefer the winter scenes with the blues, whites, purples and silvers to a lot of the tacky red/green 'Santa' stuff. It's perfect for this time of year because it's snowing here.

One consensus I'm getting from you guys is that everybody loves lights. So I'm going to add a bunch strings of creamy lights, and that oughta be nice.

5. Songbird

shiksas are great.

6. Songbird

No drinking for the kiddies, huh?

OK, buy lots of gelt and let them play dreidel with them.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

A bunch of my Jewish guy friends are coming over to hang out. Would I be fine cracking open a couple of cases of beer and turning on the game?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FirstDown, Perfectly fine. Just make sure to lock up the silverware first.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

On Moishe! On Herschel! On Shlomo!

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

None of them have anything to do with Christianity. You're overthinking this just a bit.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is the beer under strict rabbinical supervision?

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Christmas has become a secular holiday for the most part. I'm an atheist and don't mind it one bit. I just don't go to church.

Draft saved Draft deleted