1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish People, Are You Annoyed by Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Everyone's heard of Christmas in July. What about the Fourth of July in December? Hot dogs!

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jello shots. They don't necessarily have to be red and green.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Christmas bits in the New Testament are really short. Ten minutes tops.

Linus does the best part on CB Christmas.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Lugz, my friend:

Your new friends should be thrilled to come over...anyone who is 'annoyed by Christmas' should stay home because you wouldn't want to hang out with them anyway.

Growing up, my mother told me not to sing Silent Night because it had the lyrics 'Christ the Savior is born.' I think we've come a long way since then, as most schools now defer to Rudolph and Let it Snow without getting deeply religious.

Most Jewish people understand that Christmas is a national holiday. I love the season, the lights, the trees, the whole thing. It's not a religious deal for me, obviously, but I love going to my friends' Christmas parties, decorating their trees, etc. I love celebrating with Boom and his family.

Don't overthink this. You can have a great 'holiday' party without the religious connotation.

That said, though, lemme just say it is really hard to find wintery holiday stuff that's non-denominational. I give a lot of Christmas gifts, but as a Jew, I try to find the snowman/winter stuff that doesn't feature Christmas trees and creches and santas. It just seems disingenuous to me.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Luggy, Be yourself. None of the things you mentioned should offend anyone normal. If you want to do something different (from what you do) that shows you are thinking about them, maybe look up a recipe for potato latkes and give it a try.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

BTW, Lugs, have some dreidels in the house. Buy lots of gelt (those chocolate coins for the non-Jews :D ) and play dreidel! Or playing dreidel drinking games; if it lands on "shin" you have to take two shots, if it lands on "hay" you have to drink half a beer, if it lands on "nuhn" nothing happens (or you can designate some kind of action, though "nuhn" means nothing), and if it lands on "gimmel" everyone has to down a shot. Basically, you get drunk uber-fast. One of the cool things about being a Jew is that for most holidays, drinking is encouraged.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You only make latkes when you are moving out of the house the next day. That oily potato smell is the gift that keeps on giving.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seriously...there is nothing weirder than a non-Jew trying to do Jewish things. Just don't.

9. The Big Ragu

Alrighty then. My other suggestion was going to be to hire a mohel for the day to keep the kids entertained. Just ignore me.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Whiskey sours.

11. The Big Ragu

By the way, he disagrees.

[​IMG]

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So this is why my sister-in-law's cousin Cindy always insists on making them when she gets to our house instead of preparing them at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted