1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish People, Are You Annoyed by Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Growing up, I did feel somewhat left out of the whole Xmas thing, because it's hyped galore; commercials up the gazoobo, radio songs up the wazoo, Christmas specials on TV, yada yada.

That's why I was shocked a few weeks ago during, IIRC, the Best Buy commercial in which the woman mentions Hanukah. Huzzah! The word "Hanukah" mentioned in a real bona fide commercial?! P'shaw, dude!

The mainstream never talks about spinning the dreidel (which makes for some great drinking games), or the mouth-watering goodness of crispy potatoe latkes with apple sauce or sour cream, or the lighting of the menorah, or even some of the cool Hanukah songs.

But as the saying goes: Jews run the country, so give 'em all the Christmas they want.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This is helping. Thanks, Xan.

Paper Doll, thanks. I certainly don't want to contribute to the 'playing up' of Hannukkah as if to say, "Look, we've got Christmas, you've got Hannukkah." Then I would indeed look stupid.

Cran, thanks. And I'm hoping that I will get to learn more about the Jewish observances. These are relatively new friends.

I know they don't have a problem with it. But I want to go that extra step to make them comfortable and festive.

--------

Which of the following are "Christmasy"?

Gingerbread house
    Wreath
    Egg Nog
    Peppermint Bark

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What do you mean, "which of the following?" All of them.

4. Lugnuts

So setting up a craft project for the kids to do a gingerbread house would be a 'no'? ;D

Seeeee, this is why I'm asking.

What about hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps for cocktails?

For the adults, not the kids. ;D

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I just want to say I hope someone -- anyone -- actually speaks to dooley again.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bottom line is, unless you have a giant manger in your living room or read the Christmas story from the New Testament, your friends should be fine. Those things you listed are so non-religious it's not funny.

7. dooley_womack1

And J_D, if not you...then who? :'( Actually, I meant the Facebook anti-acolyte.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are Christmasy, but you are overthinking this. Jews are used to being around Christians and they are used to Christmas this time of the year. If anyone is offended by a gingerbread house or a wreath or egg nog, they are the one with the problem, not you. They are innocuous things. As long as you aren't proselytizing, I don't know what the problem is.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone Jewish who puts up a tree, only friends from mixed marriages or in two-religion relationships. That might offend me, because it doesn't relate to Hanukkah at all. So does Hanukkah Harry -- the invented equivalent of Santa -- and other things which have been made up to make the holiday more Christmas-like.

The two holidays are different. The beliefs and practices associated with each are different. Just be cognizant of that and I don't think anyone will be upset.

Gingerbread and peppermint bark are food, not faith.

10. Lugnuts

Folks, again, it's not about not offending.

One of these friends joked to me the other day she was having her daughter wear a red glitter shirt on Christmas because it was the perfect thing to wear on Christmas even though they don't celebrate it.

These ladies are not uptight.

It's more about going that extra mile on my end and making it a special day. I want them to come away thinking, "Luggie really make it festive and fun without beating us over the head with Christmasy junk like we usually get this time of year."

What would you serve?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Maybe you should make it a tropical theme. Serve pina coladas.

12. dooley_womack1

I've seen stories about the phenomenon I posted about. I'll seek links.

Draft saved Draft deleted