1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jewish People, Are You Annoyed by Christmas?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Ha! I thought that title might get your attention.

If you'll indulge me and my ignorance for a moment...

I grew up in the American South, where, in a public high school of 2500 kids, we had one (1) Jewish person.

In grade school, when word got out that such-and-such was Jewish, I didn't know what that meant. I was told it meant she didn't believe in Santa Claus and didn't have a Christmas tree.

I became a little more enlightened in college, and now here I am in the Great American Northeast. I've got a small group of friends-- all of whom happen to be Jewish-- because the last one of this group just converted.

This weekend I'm hosting those ladies and their tots for a playdate. I want to make them comfortable and create a festive atmosphere without overwhelming them with the "Christmasness" of the house. Maybe this isn't even a concern??

Trying to figure out what would be appropriate got me wondering if those of you who are Jewish find this time of year annoying?

I was doing our quicky holiday/photo cards at CVS and was looking for a 'snowflake' background, and the only backgrounds the computer offered were highly Christian or highly Jewish. I ended up settling on a card with a snowman on it... but alas, the snowman was wearing a Santa hat. Grrrrrr. I did send it out to all my Jewish friends.... Would that bother you?

The house isn't overly decorated, we just have the tree up.

Anybody have any ideas on things to serve or ways to make everybody comfortable?

Waiting to be flamed for this,
    Lugz

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Make sure the gift bag includes the "Passion of the Christ" DVD with special commentary from Mel Gibson.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dooley is thinking that Santa Claus as portrayed now is nondenominational, thus a snowman with a Santa cap should be no biggie.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I find Christmas kind of annoying....and I'm Catholic.

I think it's great you've even broached this subject and I'm sure your friends would appreciate it too.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think it's annoying that Christmas is only one day and the Jews get like 12 days or something. Why are they hoarding all the days?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How surprised were you when you finally met a Jew and she didn't have horns?

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think your house sounds "too Christmasey." I'm sure your Jewish friends will understand that you observe Christmas. Your real friends will have no problem with it.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not going to say that wasn't hilarious. It was.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Luggy, for some reason unknown to me about 80 percent of our friends are Jewish. Most of them especially like to come over during the holidays just like we like to go to a Passover Seder at one of their houses. It's different and fun to experience another culture from the inside.

On the 27th we will have our annual holiday party and Jews will outnumber the Christians and agnostics. it will be awesome, as usual.

Mmmmm latkes.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

To quote an old MTV show cast member, "it wasn't not funny."

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I don't think your Jewish friends would be offended because you decorated your house for Christmas. It's none of their business what you do in your home anyway.

My mom might be upset with Santa snowman. But she's very picky about these things. I'd be happy to get the card. I'm also a fan of Christmas lights and all that, though I'm pretty sure they're about as relevant to the original purpose of the holiday as gifts are at Hannukkah.

Hannukkah's not a big-deal holiday, not like Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur. It's a celebration of a miracle which has been blown out of proportion to compete with Christmas.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Passing up another Facebook construct to ensure that someone might actually speak to me again, and simply saying that many Jewish folk put up a tree and exchange "Christmas" gifts as a purely fun thing, with no notion of "Christ"

Draft saved Draft deleted