1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jew 'em down" ... Trenton, My Trenton forevermore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Blakeley is going to be mayor of Trenton one day soon, which will be a good thing, and then he'll move on to be governor. He's a good egg.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Let me see those hands.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure how it's possible in America at this late date to ignore or misunderstand the nature of the slur inherent in the phrase.

Even a casual reader or moviegoer or TV watcher has been presented the anti-Semitic tropes and stereotypes hundreds of times by adolescence.

4. Songbird

Anyone who says they've never equated "Jew 'em down" with Jews is lying.

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Who would even say that? If they wouldn't connect that term with Jews, with whom would they connect it? Unitarians?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's probably true, but I have encountered people who used the term without thinking of the connection. In the late '90s, a teenager working as a cashier at a gas station convenience store realized she had not given me the proper change. As I was walking away, she said "I Jewed you out of your change." I remember being slightly stunned and informing her that I am Jewish. She still didn't get the problem, even after further explanation. She was completely lost.

I told the story when I got back to my office and one of the young women made a good point. People were getting the term from South Park, but not really thinking about what it meant.

Of course it is ignorant and inappropriate speech and refusing to apologize makes it seem as if the person is comfortable with saying something that is anti-Jewish, but I do get people using the term without thought, but also without malice.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And that’s where the left and right meet, anti-Semitism.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Your original post used the examples of a black candidate who unsuccessfully ran 30 years ago and another black candidate who ran 15 years ago and received less than one percent of the delegates to demonstrate anti-semitism in the black community.

Now you tell that liberals and conservatives can be anti-Semite. Which, while certainly true, seems to me to be unrelated to your original point.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

On a lesser level, when you use the word "gyp" -- as in "You gypped me out of what's rightfully mine" -- it's a reference to gypsies, who are widely associated with conning people. Maybe most people know that; I only learned it recently.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

People shouldn't act niggardly in the first place.

11. Songbird

I get Jerell's newsletters.

[​IMG]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 18, 2019

Trenton N.J. – Trenton At-Large Councilman Jerell Blakeley is calling for the broader Trenton community to attend an Emergency Town Hall Condemning Hate Speech meeting tonight at Trenton’s City Hall Council Chambers at 5:30 PM. In the wake of local, state, and national condemnation of the use and minimization of Anti-Semitic slurs by members of Trenton’s City Council and the continued silence and failure to acknowledge said slurs by other members of City Council, Blakeley calls the meeting imperative.

“I am inviting the Trenton community to attend this Emergency Town Hall meeting to show our county, state, and country that the Anti-Semitic comments of my colleagues don’t represent the values of the Trenton community,” said Councilman Blakeley. “Religious, political and community leaders are scheduled to give remarks at tonight’s Emergency Town Hall meeting to discuss how the Trenton community can combat hate speech. This cannot be the new normal.”

Councilman Blakeley also said, “Anti-Semitism and all forms of hate have no place in America. After criticism from Trenton Mayor Reed Guscoria, New Jersey Senator Corey Booker, New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez, the 15th State Assembly delegation, and the entire NJ congressional delegation, Trenton Council President McBride finally did the right thing and gave a public apology at last evening’s council meeting.”

“This came after refusing for days to even acknowledge her Anti-Semitic comments because of claims of executive session privilege,” continued Blakeley. “However, Trenton South Ward Councilman George Muschal and West Ward Councilwoman Robin Vaughn have stubbornly refused all calls for a public apology and when provided an opportunity to do so last night, refused to do so. “

According to Blakeley, this failure to even publicly acknowledge their most recent public comments is a stunning exhibition of their lack of contrition. Both have stubbornly refused to even acknowledge the painful legacy of Anti-Semitism. “We must expect more from our elected representatives, “ said Blakeley. “In the wake of my colleagues’ failure to pass a motion of censure decrying individual member’s embracement of Anti-Semitic tropes and rhetoric and in the face of national condemnation, Trenton must come together to show the world that they don’t represent us.”

Emergency Town Hall Condemning Hate Speech
    Town Hall Details

Trenton City Hall

City Council Chambers
    319 East Street
    Trenton, NJ 08608

Time:

5:30 PM-7:00 PM

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That helps illustrate the point. I was in my 40s when I learned that connection. I think the connection between Jewed and Jews is a little tougher to miss, but it is a fair comparison.

Draft saved Draft deleted