1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Jew 'em down" ... Trenton, My Trenton forevermore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So Trenton Council president Kathy McBride said “Jew her down” in a closed door executive session, something we heard about and then confirmed thanks to The Trentonian’s crack investigative unit (Hi Isaac!). The Trentonian even has a recording of the statement in question.

McBride has - at least of this writing - refused to confirm, deny, or apologize for the remark, claiming whatever happens in executive session is information that cannot, by law, be disseminated. At least that’s what she told the New Jersey Globe, the online news organization helmed by David Wildstein, yes, the Bridgegate dude. (Honestly, that factoid is immaterial to the story, but the more you know, ya know? Anyway …)

Anyway, Mayor Reed Gusciora has implored McBride to apologize, Trenton councilman Jerrell Blakeley has called on McBride to resign, and a pair of Trenton council members have actually decided “Jew her down” is the hill they’re willing to die on.

“It’s a ‘statement of speech,’ George Muschal told the Globe.You know, it’s like a car dealer, they wanted $5,000, you Jew ‘em down to $4,000. It’s nothing vicious. The expression has been said millions of times.”

Oy vey.

Read the rest ...

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No need to resign over the remark. Just apologize.

She'll wind up resigning because of all the nonsense after.

Unless she's a Republican. Then such talk is expected.

3. Songbird

I know Muschal pretty well. He is a character of characters and his quote fits him to a T.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No need to resign? Are you the biggest idiot ever?

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The writer's attitude is interesting. He doesn't claim the people are anti-Semitic, just dopes who use anti-Semitic terms.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Millions in front of me in that line.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Guess she won’t be on Saturday Night Live either.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was at a destination wedding of a former co-worker and a group of us were visiting the local market. The wife of one another former co-worker was excited because she "jewed down" the price of a necklace that she bought. The future Mrs. W and I were the only people of the tribe in this group and I got pretty loud in explaining that it was an anti-Semitic term. She and her husband insisted that we were the real anti-Semites because the term was a compliment and that we were just being politically correct. Shockingly, 20 years later, both are huge MAGA people.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

This chick outkicked her coverage...I don't even need to see her opposite number to know that.

heyabbott likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

She is African American, so using denigrating speech to people who are Jewish or about Jewish people is acceptable in the African American culture. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton both have repeatedly made anti-Semitic comments. Both ran for President and enjoyed wide support from African Americans after their insults. Sometimes they apologize for what they said and sometimes the are sorry for anyone whom they have offended. And sometimes it is a silent fuck you.

For the most part, anti-Semitic utterances are just gotcha quotes used by one side or another. The reality is that Jewish people are easy targets to insult without the prospect of recriminations.

11. Songbird

Oh, the irony, Songbird. Oh, the fucking irony.

Fred siegle and heyabbott like this.
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The orginal post said Councilman Jerrell Blakely called on the woman to resign. Councilman George Muschal defended the comments. Blakely is black and Muschal is white.

Your ability to generalize remains unparalleled.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Fred siegle and Regan MacNeil like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted