1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jets halftime show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Or maybe yours just aren't that impressive....

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've been to NFL games in more than a handful of locales, and I haven't witnessed any of this type behavior. I have no problems taking my sons to a game, and I have many times. I would hazard to say that in most places, the NFL is closer to Lugnuts' family experience description than to an outdoor strip club atmosphere. Perhaps the Northeast is different.

And to mix in a response from the other subject matter on this thread, Barbaro was such a big deal because of his Derby run. He won in convincing fashion, by a record number of lengths I believe, and I think people had the sense we were potentially looking at something very special. Something you had to go some 30 years back for a comparison. Because of that anticipation of greatness, Barbaro was clearly a national story.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not to threadjack, but since you brought it up. I think the early line on the Jets/Pats in NE this weekend is 24 or 25 points. Would anyone here take the Jets, even with that point spread? Is there any doubt that this thing is going to end up 68-10, with the Pats recovering an onside kick and running a two-minute drill culminating in a TD pass to end the game?

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's funny you mention the Patriots.
    Recently, the players have been complaining about the fans not standing up and cheering during the game, saying they wish fans would act like the ones in Baltimore did.
    My buddy's dad has season tickets, 40 yard line, 10th and 11th row and let's us go to our fair share of games.
    Whenever we stand to cheer, we get pestered by people behind us to sit down. Last year at a playoff game vs. the Jets, a woman yelled at us to sit down.
    The problem now for Pats fans is the season ticket holders are deathly afraid of being ejected and losing their seats. The bottom bowl of the stadium sits nearly the entire game out of fear, which is something the Pats don't understand.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I am taking the Jets.

I said it earlier today, if fact. I've got no logic behind my guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets beat the Patriots. Not at all. However, I would be surprised if the Patriots beat the piss out of the Jets, either.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Maybe it is the wide-eyed optimist in me, but I think that it will be close. This is the Jets playoff game an assuming that they like their coach (I'm just not sure), they may put out a little extra defending his honor. Or they could roll over.

As an aside, given how Weis and Mangenius have crapped the bed this year, doesn't this make Belichick look even smarter?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

how can you have any faith after watching Mangenius TWICE kick a field goal down by more than a field goal in the last three minutes yesterday?

He's historically overmatched. 77-0.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

i'm thinking that between spygate and the genuine hatred Bellichick has for Mangini, that the Pats will score triple-digits.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Despite dry finale, Jets plan to resume beer sales next season

2007-12-31 11:57

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -The New York Jets plan to reinstate the sale of beer next season despite a ban in the season finale that appeared to curb fan rowdiness.

Whether sales will be limited and when the taps will be shut remain to be determined.

The Jets instituted Sunday's prohibition after increased security at their prior home game failed to dissuade hundreds of men from imploring women at Gate D to expose their breasts at halftime.

State troopers and Giants Stadium security personnel were deployed Dec. 9 after the behavior was reported in The New York Times. Fans of the New York Giants do not have a similar practice.

This Sunday, access to Gate D was restricted at halftime, with one ramp closed and the other partially open, said James R. Minish, executive vice president of facilities for the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority, which operates the stadium.

``We had fewer crowd control problems yesterday than we would normally run into during a football game,'' Minish said Monday, although he had no immediate figures on arrests and removals.

He attributed the calmer scene to the absence of alcohol and a small crowd of about 45,000, well below stadium capacity of about 78,000.

The beer ban was not announced before the game so that fans would not ``overindulge'' in the parking lot ahead of kickoff, Minish said.

The Jets prevailed 13-10 in overtime of their season finale against the Kansas City Chiefs, but some fans let authorities know they missed their suds.

``We want beer!'' some chanted at halftime, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported.

State Senate President Richard D. Codey, D-Essex, attended the game and endorsed the Jets' efforts to curb harassment of women.

``There's a little too much drinking,'' Codey told the newspaper. ``If you can't act responsibly, we don't want you at the game.''

Draft saved Draft deleted