1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jets halftime show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gingerbread, Nov 20, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Article is depressing on so many levels.
    The juxtaposition in the slide show between picture 3 (of a dignified Curtis Martin) and the others really makes you want to take your kid to a Jets game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/sports/football/20fans.html?ref=sports

The mood of previous Gate D crowds — captured on video clips posted on YouTube — sometimes bordered on hostile, not unlike the spirit of infamously aggressive European soccer hooligans. One clip online shows a woman being groped by a man standing next to her.

Sunday’s scene played out for about 20 minutes, and at least one woman granted the men’s request, setting off a roar as if the former star running back Curtis Martin had just scored a touchdown. Martin was actually nearby, being honored on the field in the official halftime show, which had a far less intense audience.

Throughout halftime, about 10 security guards in yellow jackets stood near the bottom of the circular, multilevel ramp, located beyond the stadium’s concourse of concession stands and restrooms. One of the guards was smoking a cigarette; many fans do the same during halftime on the giant ramps, which are located at each corner of the stadium. Another guard later said they were not permitted to do anything about the chants at Gate D because of free speech laws. Yet when a reporter tried to interview two security guards after halftime, he was detained in a holding room, threatened with arrest and asked to hand over his tape recorder.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of things about the Jets, but this is a new one. Interesting read.

3. Here I thought Jets fans were just desperate for a win ...

4. gingerbread

To be fair, they might have been Steelers fans ::)

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, that one hurt ... and yes, I'm still wondering how the Steelers lost to the Jets. The Jets!

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

SJ Masturbation Nation has its favorite football team.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That's really awful.

8. gingerbread

Good lord, this clip from 11/4 Jets vs. Redskins looks like a father pimping out his daughter.
    (NSFW)

And she might be tossed off the balcony if she doesn't play nice. Leon Hess must be so proud.
    (NSFW)

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Even worse, gingerbread, is the play on the "J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!" line. Are these guys even there for the game?

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Jets are a wreck. A minor league wreck.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

On a general level, with the NFL so tied up with Big Beer and the ever-spiraling de-attiring of cheerleaders, this situation is not surprising. On a specific level, aren't the Jets more the working-class team in New York and the Giants the one with more affluent fan base? Not that the rich can't be a-holes, but if more of one's income is tied into tickets for the team, might there be more of a sense of entitlement to let a well-lubricated id run wild?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a first date -- if they get married, will this meet cute be in their Sunday Styles blurb?

Denisse Rivera, a 23-year-old from the Bronx, was on a first date Sunday. When she arrived at the crowd at Gate D, several men pointed at her, signaling men at all levels to chant in her direction. After a brief moment of hesitation, she flashed them. Then she took a bow.

“I don’t care,” Rivera said when told that video clips of previous incidents, taken on cellphones, ended up online. “I love my body and I like what I have, so let everybody share it.”

Draft saved Draft deleted