1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jets fan suing Patriots and Belichick for $184 million for deceiving customers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 29, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jetsfan-patriotslawsuit&prov=ap&type=lgns

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere. Sorry if it is a DB. I love stories like this. Who has the time to actually prepare a law suit like this and follow through? But you have to love fans and rivalries. Does anyone know if this has enough merit to at least be a nuisance for Bob Kraft?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This is awesome. The lawsuit wasn't filed by the 'Beat clan Jets fans, so I can walk in public with the normal amount of familial embarrassment. It would have sucked to walk around NYC wearing a paper bag on my head like a Saints fan.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, lawyers can be football fans.

This is great. What would be other potential lawsuits by fans?

Red Sox fans suing Bill Buckner

Falcons fans suing Michael Vick

Think the ambulance chasers see this as another potential revenue stream?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: Jets fan suing Patriots and Belichick for $184 million for deceiving custome

Don't see a parallel between Bill Buckner and this. There is a difference between a guy not playing well and a guy doing something intentionally that you can argue defrauded the paying fans. Vick's action also didn't affect a specific game that fans had paid money to see. The two situations you mentioned would get thrown out right off. This sounds like something you could make a little better argument about--at least to my unlawerly sensibilities.

Ambulance chasers usually try to chase law suits that give them at least a chance of winning. I doubt the guy who filed this thinks he has any chance of winning anything. If anything, unless you are not a fan trying to prove a point, this is a giant waste of your time and money. The Patriots won't settle, because he filed it as a class action suit , and if they just settle with him, they open themselves up to more action. The question is does it get thrown out right away or does it create a little nuisance for the Patriots before he loses.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Why didn't I think of this?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If the fans can sue for participants cheating, NASCAR will be out of business by Friday.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

"They violated the integrity of the game," Mayer's attorney, Bruce Afran, told The Associated Press. "This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots."

Using that philosophy how many steriod-era baseball players will be sued?

8. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

This is ourrrrrrr country.

Draft saved Draft deleted