1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter's run to 3,000 hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 8, 2011.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Re: Jeter 3000

Random fact of the day:
    Derek Jeter was born in the same hospital I was - almost 5-1/2 years after me. The hospital serves a number of surrounding towns, so even if his family hadn't moved to Michigan before he went to high school, he would've gone to a different high school (then again, given the age difference I would have never seen him play in high school anyway)

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He'll get no more than 200 more hits.

3. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I think he has 70 or so left in him this year. He can play another 5 seasons after that and even if he only averages 120 a year that puts him at almost 3700. That's conservate estimate though...if he gets close to 4000 the Yankees will keep him around for the milestone. I think Rose's record is probably out of reach but if Julia Franco can play until 49 who knows what the Captain has in store?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That would put him 14th on the list between Cal and Nap Lajoie. The only contemporaries of Jeter ahead of him would be Eddie Murray and Paul Molitor.

Murray had 2400+ plate appearances as a DH and Molitor had 5300+. Jeter's had 115 plate appearances as a DH.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

There is no way Derek Jeter, a player keenly aware of his legacy, will play more than another couple seasons. He's losing it, he knows it and he won't stumble to the finish line.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I fell asleep before Jeter's 3,000th, but I assume it went thusly:

"As soon as Jeter rounded the bases, he went up out of the dugout. At that moment heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on Him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Who is next to reach 3000?

Ivan Rodriguez - 2842. Seems to be slowing down. Already has the record for most hits by a catcher. Probably won't make it.

Omar Vizquel - 2831. Part time player, might not even make 2900.

Alex Rodriguez - 2762. With his injuries probably not sooner than 2013.

Johnny Damon - 2662. My pick to be next 3k player. No history of injuries, I think he will beat ARod.

After those two it will be several years. Albert Pujols in 2018, Miguel Cabrera in 2021.

8. mb

mb Active Member

I'd just about give my left nut to see Jeter pushing his walker out to short at age 49.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How many hits away is Bryce Harper? I think he has a chance.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

At which point the Archangel Michael sidles next to God and, in sotto voce, says "Begging Your pardon, Almighty, but Tim Tebow is a thousand miles to the west"

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I hope someone can start a thread about Jeter's 3,001st hit.

Yippee.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

If he wanted to I think he could do it. The Yankees need to sign a shortstop this offseason to take the pressure off Jeter. Let him become a fulltime DH...there's a lot of life left in that bat but playing a demanding position takes its toll as he approaches 40.

Draft saved Draft deleted