1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter's run to 3,000 hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One's just a little bigger than the other.

I have no problem with them breaking into programming for every McGwire and Sosa at bat during the HR chase. I had no problem with them doing that for Bonds when he went after the single-season and the all-time HR records.

This is a big deal, but it's not even remotely close to those milestones.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i understand. but you've also gotta be real here. those guys were EONS ago, relatively speaking. and again, rightly or wrongly -- and not rating them as hitters and/or players -- but derek jeter is simply much more 'famous' and the face of the yankees (a 4-time world series winner, 2-time series loser, which translates into jeter being more recognizable to the general public than any of the players mentioned).

and is there ANYTHING of significance in sports that ISN'T focused on markedly more now than in the past? stir all these factors in a blender and it's surprising to learn a media-savvy person would even be annoyed by it.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

As Joe Pos pointed out in a recent blog post, and others have pointed out, Jeter is the first member of the 3K club to come along in the current media market. Everything he's done isn't a matter of legend... it's a matter of video tape.

Take that fact, along with the fact that he's the first Yankee to do it, and well... I'm surprised ESPNJETER hasn't sprouted up in the past week. Or maybe it has, and I just haven't been watching.

4. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

You're right, Mizzou. It's not even remotely close because Jeter's milestone will be legitimate -- not fueled by andro or "flaxseed oil" or whatever else McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, et al, used to pump themselves up into home-run hitting machines well into their 30s.

Beyond the obvious NYC myopia, don't think for a second that the fact that Jeter has reached the pinnacle of 3,000 without help from a superior chemist isn't a major factor in the coverage.

He's been overhyped for sure, but at least you don't feel the need to take a shower and wash off the slime after you watch him play.

5. Mizzougrad96

For Bonds, fine... Most of us watching the McGwire-Sosa chase had no idea what was coming from a steroid standpoint. That deserved the coverage it got. Jeter doing something that 27 others have done, does not...

The gripe is with the national media. The NYC papers should be covering the hell out of this. He's their guy.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I love these posts where people declare people as clean. I doubt he did anything but who the hell knows, hokie pokie sure as hell doesn't.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, we'll never know who is on HGH unless they start testing. I'm guessing the numbers are high. I think you would have to be naive at this point to assume anyone is completely clean and has been completely clean for their entire careers.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jeter, by virtue of his perceived virtue, in addition to his iconic status as El Capitan of The New York Yankees puts him in a different class of athlete than Molitor, Boggs and Gwynn. Jeter is known to our girlfriends, wives and mothers. To our sons' girlfriends, and our daughters know who he is.

He also wears 5 World Series rings, no other player with 3,000 hits has won as many World Series as Derek Jeter.He's the first Yankee to get to 3,000. And from my memory, he played in every post season game the Yankees have been in since 1996. Posada may own 5 rings, but he didn't have a post season plate appearance in 96. Rivera was the set up man to Wettland ( WS MVP) and Pettitte, while he pitched in every series and has 5 rings too, isn't as great a pitcher as Jeter is a player.

Over the top? Maybe. But he's the winningest player in baseball since Mantle retired. He's played the game well and right. Revel in it.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Jeter 3000

This deserves its own thread. The captain looks rejuvinated coming off the DL. Can he make a run at 4000 hits

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Re: Jeter 3000

I don't think it does, really...

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/84807/

Maybe, but not two of 'em.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

That thread discusses the media coverage of his chase. This thread is to celebrate the accomplishment and talk about how far he will go. I predict he will finish around 3500 hits (top 5 all time).

Draft saved Draft deleted