1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter's run to 3,000 hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is it just me or does the coverage of Jeter's run at 3,000 hits seem just a tad excessive?

I don't remember this kind of coverage for a player getting to 3,000 during my lifetime.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

What, you don't remember HBO doing a "Paul Molitor 3K" documentary?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've been a little surprised there hasn't been more, actually. But then, I don't get HBO, I largely tune out ESPN (I'll turn them back on when college football starts playing games) and I don't live in or near New York.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I haven't really noticed. Not watching SportsCenter does that. I mean, there's been plenty online, but nothing crazy. At least not on the sites I read regularly.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i don't know where you're based, mizzoo, but i know here in n.y. jeter 3,000 is the over-the-top driving force. if it's also receiving over-the-top national media attention i'd suggest it's simply the times we live in -- EVERYTHING of any significance receives the 24/7, all-talk-all-the-time treatment.

i know why back in the day a celebrity murder case like o.j.'s received such over-the-top attention. but would the white trash trial of casey anthony been covered and discussed as it's been before the 24/7 news/talk radio/blog era? keep in mind this is the first time in quite a while anyone since anyone hit the 3,000-mark. and when it's the face of the sports most famous franchise, who i'd venture to say has been on national tv more than any other baseball player in history, many will find the coverage nauseating.

though i'm curious to hear how jeter/3,000 is being treated OUTSIDE of n.y. in what way would you say it's been unprecedented? i'm asking 'cause i have no idea. i only know the topic has been wrung dry in n.y. would the coverage of wade boggs quest for 3,000 been treated any differently in boston had he gotten 'em all with the bosox?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Craig Biggio didn't have live look-ins when he was still 6 hits away.

I expected this with Jeter, though. If it happens in New York, the entire nation is at the edge of their seat. Right?

I love the 3,000-hit milestone and I'm happy for Jeter. It's a real testament to showing up everyday, working hard and being good.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

YES network spending too much time focused on Jeter and not enough time on important game going on

Last night Michael Kay raised the point and then went on to promote every Jeter upcoming at bat.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's the Big Apple, it's the Yankees, it's Jeter, it's ESPN.

Frankly, with the confluences of all of the above, I've expected the coverage to be even more over-the-top. It'll certainly crank up by an order of magnitude with him being two hits away.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'd like to know the winning percentages of teams with a player within four hits of the cycle compared to their overall winning percentage. that'd interest me very much.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Aren't all players always within four hits of the cycle?

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Ahem...3,000 hits.

Sorry. i have no idea where cycle came from. context words, I guess.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

um, it's the YANKEES network, which is shameless to begin with. if the astros had their own network in '97 i'm sure their coverage would've been all-biggio, all-the time.

and there was no hbo documentary on 'molitor 3,000?' really? does this even have to be addressed?

Draft saved Draft deleted