1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter: Where Does He Rank Among All-Time Greats?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Noted. I simply didn't know that at the time, and those three got an immediate, kneejerk reaction. Once I read a bit of the thread I understood better.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I respect Jeter a lot, but I wouldn't put him in the top 50. Top 100, maybe.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

How did Kevin Maas not crack his top 10?

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No Danny Tartabull.
    No Mel Hall.

Fail.

5. RecoveringJournalist

A friend who covers baseball told me over the weekend that "under no circumstances" is Derek Jeter a top 100 all-time player.

I disagree with him, but the opinion comes from someone who has covered baseball for 15 years or so. He said he will vote for Jeter on the first ballot, but said, "Almost every position player voted in during the last decade is better than Jeter."

That would include Dawson, Rice, Ripken, Henderson, Thomas, Alomar, Larkin, Gwynn, Sandberg and Boggs.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I would disagree with that pretty vehemently. To me, Henderson and Alomar are, Rice & Dawson (I would probably add Sanberg) are not. Larkin, Ripken, Gwynn and Boggs would need a closer look.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I tend to think Jeter is middle of the pack with that group.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I also respect Jeter and think he is a terrific player (though he's not in my spank bank as he is with the OP).

But - he's not even a top 5 Yankee of all time. Mantle, Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio, Berra. That's right off the top of my head with no thought, excluding pitchers. Hell, could probably come up with another five pretty easily.

Is he even a top 5 shortstop? Those who know more than me, which is pretty much everybody, can probably answer that much better.

Deserves all the accolades and send-offs he's getting, sure. But you have to be in the throes of a serious Jeter-gasm to have him fifth all-time

9. RecoveringJournalist

I think the only way he's a top 5 shortstop is if you disqualify the guys who played SS for half their careers and then moved to a less demanding position for the second half.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I didn't see Berra play, but why is he above Jeter? I say that as someone who does consider Jeter to be very overrated.

Mariano Rivera has to a top 5 Yankee.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Who you kicking out among Mantle, Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio and Berra and substitute in a closer?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Berra had 3 MVPs, 2 second place finishes a third and a fourth. 10 rings including 5 straight from 49-53. 10 straight 20 HR seasons, as a catcher. If Johnny Bench is considered the greatest catcher of All Time, Yogi is 2nd. Yogi is probably the greatest catcher in AL history, all due respect to Mr. Fisk and Mr. Dickey

If Jeter's ultimate claim of greatest is as Captain Intangible, then Yogi is the Emperor of Intangibles Winners Win, and 10 > 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted