1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter Farewell Gatorade Commercial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I might have gone the opposite direction and made it grittier this way:

Have him undress after a game, even a loss, hang the dirty jersey and throw his glove on the floor of his locker, etc etc, get into his street clothes and instead of hopping into his car he decides to go for a walk and stops to smell the Bronx roses and watering holes. Pull up a stool at Stan's and order a round for the house, shoot the shit etc etc, THEN get into a cab to go home.

This was great but a bit too sanitized.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ragu, if you don't think a game at Yankee Stadium is affordable, you need to check StubHub once in a while. Baseball games nationwide are the most affordable ticket you can buy.

Heck, face value of a seat in the Jim Beam Suite is $40, the seats are awesome and you have easy bar and bathroom access. You can bring your own sandwiches to the game, too. Take the train in and you don't even have to pay to park.

Yes, front-row seats behind home plate are now exorbitantly expensive. But as a whole, it's still quite affordable, contrary to popular belief.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp

They list those Jim Bean Suite tickets at $130, if you aren't buying on a plan, and even for season ticket holders, they aren't anywhere near $40 ($95 to $115). What am I missing?

I have never sat up there -- it is the section behind home plate, but terrace level, right?

If I was going to do that, I'd do without the access to a bar (I am not going to Yankee stadium to stand inside in a lounge and drink with TV sets) and spend only $60 to $80 for a seat in the terrace (they reduced prices when the season went to shit). Sure, that is affordable, but what are you getting for it? You are way upstairs. In fact, given the choice, If you force me to see a game that way, I'd probably save even more money and just go for the grandstand seats that are supposed to be for everyman. What is the difference between 2 miles and 4 miles from the field?

If you actually want to feel like you are reasonably close to the playing field, let's face it, you are putting down $150 or more iif you are buying single game tickets.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Back when the Yankees played in October it was nice to have a place upstairs to duck in and get warm.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You can do all that and even eat a dam good crab cake in the Audi Club but what you don't have is the energy of the old stadium. When Girardi hit the triple in game
    6 of '96 World Series the place was literately shaking. Big hits in
    new stadium bring barely a ripple. Half the fans would have been in eating for the
    Aaron Boone HR if it took place in new stadium.

I would gladly give back the all you can eat crab cakes for a hot dog and beer at the old stadium if I could have the energy back.

6. cranberry

To Boom's point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJppMH9aDCI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTNSsDRJb7U

7. Boom_70

Great one - Ironically just saw myself in seats in video.

8. cranberry

I had already left my seat and was watching a monitor in the downstairs media lunch/workroom. Felt like an earthquake.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boom,

You just nailed it for me, again. I may be being crusty. ... But a Yankee Stadium with people sitting inside eating or ordering drinks from a bar is lame.

I much preferred the stadium where everyone was on their feet during big games and there was a buzz. I know exactly what you mean by that roar and the shaking of the stadium. They got rid of that when they did the new building.

It isn't so much an affordability issue for me -- although I do find the prices for a regular season baseball game ridiculous. The fact that there is an "Audi Club" is what sucks. I know it was a natural evolution. But I still find it so cliched and lame, and as much as some people hate the Yankees, I don't know how anyone could have called the old Stadium a cliche. It was an original.

My biggest problem with the news stadium -- and I think this is what killed the buzz the most -- is that there is a clear clear segregation line halfway up between the guests of the white shoe law firms that own the bottom half of the stadium and the regular fans who are trying to hold onto their team. The people down below don't show up most of the time. The people up above might as well be trying to watch the game from the GW Bridge.

10. cranberry

I'm old enough to have considered the 1974 renovation a travesty, so I'm not a good person to comment on this.

11. Boom_70

Not crusty at all. Your a baseball fan that understands the difference in the experience.

The Lonn Trost moat is a disaster. In the old stadium kids would be able to
    go down to rail during batting practice and get balls signed. Lower
    stadium was also filled with true yankee fans which generated a lot more noise.
    Now those seats are half filled mostly by a transient crowd just there for
    the ballpark experience.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My mistake, I meant the Mohegan Sun Sports Bar in center field, which are great seats. They're really a lot of fun.

I get your point about the lack of buzz because of the class segregation down among the best seats, but fans have needed a ticket to get down there for a long time, even in the old stadium, where they had ushers protecting entrance to each section.

It's probably been at least 30 years since fans were allowed to "upgrade" late in the game to the lowest level seats.

Draft saved Draft deleted