1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jeter Farewell Gatorade Commercial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Very well done complete with a visit to
    Stan's

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-gatorades-epic-farewell-derek-jeter-will-be-tough-beat-160202

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You just like it because he stops at Stan's.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was really good.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hah - it does hold a special place in my heart. Would have liked it
    even more if he could have crossed the street to the old stadium instead of
    having to walk up a few blocks to "the mall".

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's pretty awesome. The visit to Stan's is very cool. Would have been cool to be there that day.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know how much of the ad, if any, was "real" or organic.

But yeah, it's a great ad regardless.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Very cool indeed.

8. bigpern23

If you read the Adweek article linked, you'll see that it was pretty much all real.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I read that pern, I just have trouble believing anything from advertisers.

It would be a cool thing, though. I'm willing to believe the Stan's part is real.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The couple crowd scenes seem authentic. I wonder if he had to put on his street clothes and leave the stadium to get the Stan's shot. He's usually at the park well before Stan's starts filling up.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Man, you just summed up how I feel. This ain't about Jeter, so skip if you don't care. ...

My first game with my dad was the year they reopened the old stadium after the renovation. To a lot of people the renovation was sacrilege. But it was the Yankee Stadium I grew up with.

My dad and I would go to at least one game every year, and my uncle who was a diehard and worked in the Bronx filled in with more games for me each year when he could score tickets. But tickets weren't really hard to come by, for the most part, even in the late 70s and into the 80s when they were good teams. My dad and I used to go to Ticketmaster early in the season, and I'd look at a seating chart and pretty much have my run of the place -- and it was affordable. Even by the early 90s, during the miserable Stump Merrill years when attendance dropped off a bit, the old stadium had a distinctive buzz. It reached a crescendo during the 5 to 7 years after 1996, when they won their first World Series. The two games during the 1999 series, for example, were as charged as I can remember the stadium. It had already started to become corporate, but you had a decent showing of regular people in the bottom part of the bowl, and of course in the bleachers.

I was bummed when they announced the new stadium, and had a feeling it would turn out the way it did. But I held out hope. Man, is it abysmal. Aside from the Disney feel of the place, they basically sectioned off the stadium -- the lower part is all corporate and usually fairly empty. The upper part that is supposed to be for Joe Sixpack is way overpriced, and is about 300 nautical miles from the field. The combined effect is a dead stadium, even when the place is relatively filled. They may be cashing in in the short-term -- I don't know the finances. But in terms of fan experience, they really screwed it up in my opinion.

As for Stan's. ... I have always kind of wondered, but not enough to try to find an answer. There was Stan's Sports Bar, Stan's Sports World and Stan the Man's Baseball Land. Stan has been a fixture on River Avenue since at least the mid 1970s. ... Does anyone know who Stan is/was?

12. bigpern23

Fair point, but think of it this way - is it easier to hire actors and do multiple takes to make sure they get the reaction right, or "just kind of let Jeter go," roll a bunch of film and do some nice editing to create this commercial? Seems like to achieve the kind of story they wanted to tell, the absolute best way is to actually let Jeter go surprise some fans.

If those are mostly paid actors, I'd say they should all be getting more roles very soon. It was very convincing.

Draft saved Draft deleted