1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jet LB: "Would Accept Gay Teammate"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Jet LB: "Homosexuality Is A Sin"

Lots of Muslims think jihad is defensible. That's how they were taught. It's understandable.

2. Re: Jet LB: "Homosexuality Is A Sin"

Wonder what freqposter thinks about adultery and why it's OK.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...

I wasn't defending his stance. I said the response he gave was understandable coming from a devout Christian. Clearer if I wrote his response was predictable?

You want him to defend his stance. Right or wrong his first and only defense would be the teachings of the Bible. Because from the Bible he would have been taught that homosexuality is a sin. Just as people were taught -- for years -- about the concept of original sin and how baptism removed that stain.

He also would have been taught that hatred of homosexuals or engaging in -- I'll use your term -- jihad against them would have been an affront to God's teachings.

He wouldn't have been instructed that killing homosexuals, heterosexuals, bisexuals or those claiming to be asexual would result in a trip to paradise.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really want to hear what Ray Lewis thinks about this now that he is a member of the cloth and media.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is about where I come down on it. To reach acceptance is going to require a certain acceptance of the idiocy that comes before it. The Tim Hardaway example is the best hope.

More than that, though, we do have to return to the point that athletes are by and large fucking idiots and nobody should give a shit what they have to say outside the white lines.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Don't know who brought up the issue or how the question was raised, so it's tough to know the context.

But if that's what the man believes, is it wrong for him to be honest about it? Any more wrong for him to be honest than for some gay person to "come out"?

I hold some controversial beliefs. I don't go around crusading over them. I live my life and, if asked, will say what I believe. They are MY beliefs; I didn't ask permission to form an opinion, nor do I care who or how many people agree or disagree. I don't make a major issue of them, but I don't feel ashamed to talk about them, either.

7. Dick Whitman

I just want to know the basis for that belief that he has.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In fairness the media should ask anyone who comes out on what basis do they believe they are a homosexual.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Could be interesting. Not everyone has a "basis" for every single belief they hold. Maybe it's how they were raised, maybe an experience they had, any number of things.

My "basis" for my dislike of oriental food is just that I happen to think it doesn't taste good. Other people love the stuff. Fine.

10. Dick Whitman

They need to.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

oh, i'll defend his 'right' to say it. but i'll call him out for being STUPID enough to do so. let him and all the other homophobes hiding behind scripture reveal their animous towards 'the gays.' i'll call 'em out just as i would've called out the jackie robinson haters, pro-slavery advocates, anti-semites, etc.

it just makes me very sad. and furious. there are going to be physical altercations over this stuff, as slowly but surely more athletes come out and fellow athletes speak out against them. a player is asked, 'how would you feel about a homosexual teammate?,' they'd be best served to say nothing at all.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What's wrong with simply stating an opinion and saying "this is MY opinion"? If you're not forcing that opinion on someone else unwillingly, what harm is done?

There are a lot of things I don't condone, for all sorts of reasons. I don't run around burning crosses in people's yards, torturing anyone or anything like that. I simply live my own segregated life and just ignore the riff-raff around me and life goes on just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.